advertisement

Naim NDX vs Naim NDX2

Shaun555

pfm Member
Hi,
I have a Naim NDX and Unity Core and I was wondering if members might wish to comment on:
(a) whether the sound from ripped CDs is better on the NDX2 than the NDX and/or
(b) if software updates are available for the NDX
(c) can you sort ripped CDs into genres of your choice - that is, can ou create genres on the NDX?
Thanks
Shaun

(a) I'd assume so, but I have no experience to confirm this.
(b) Yes, probably, but nowhere near as often as for the new platform NDX2. They're clearly not adding extra functionality to the older machines.
(c) Yes, almost certainly. I can edit the tags on my files on my NAS which get served up to my streamer by Asset. I assume you can edit the metadata on the Core too and browse by genre. Of course this would be a lot of effort to get the tags right on a sizeable collection.

I used to use a CDX but ripped all my CDs, which do sound better on my NDX, I don’t know if they would sound better on the NDX2 though. I believe the biggest change between the the 2 NDXs is probably the streaming architecture, I don’t think there is a lot of difference in the DAC section performance.
As regards genres, I just created genre folders and placed the relevant CDs in them accordingly.

Hi,
I have a Naim NDX and Unity Core and I was wondering if members might wish to comment on:
(a) whether the sound from ripped CDs is better on the NDX2 than the NDX and/or
(b) if software updates are available for the NDX
(c) can you sort ripped CDs into genres of your choice - that is, can ou create genres on the NDX?
Thanks
Shaun

a) Yes

b) Latest firmware for NDX is v4.7 issued in Feb '19

c) The NDX doesn't 'create' anything. Genre of music is a 'tag' created when ripping takes place. The app uses this information to select the files for the NDX to play. You can adit the 'metadata' tags with the Core, using the app. but only if you ripped the CD on the Core

If you're only playing local files (network playing) rather than streaming (from the internet) then the NDX remains a fine player. However its streaming hardware is now quite old and limited in its functionality.

Hopefully not thread crapping too much but…….
By coincidence a friend is having trouble with his Naim app for his NDX/ unitiserve set up.
He’s getting on a bit & has just moved home & re building his system.
On the Naim app, When he’s got an album playing & he selects a new album it just adds it to the queue, rather than stopping the current album & starting the new one, even though he’s hit the “play now” button.
There doesn’t seem to be a stop button on the app, just the play/ pause one.
He also can’t see how to “clear queue” or current play-list.
Any insight here?

Can these streamers not use a library from another source? Proprietary software always strikes me as unnecessary hassle when there is so much around that is free and/or widely available and just works.

advertisement

Back