advertisement

Naim NDX case resonating like a bell.

happychappy

Happy Member
Has anyone else suffered from a resonating/ringing Naim NDX case? If so how did you cure it/quieten it down?

I have rolled up a big blob of blue tack ( I am going to call this mod ”The Bell End Mk1” :)) and squished this onto the top of the case and it has quieten it down considerably, but I am wondering if there are other options?

I have a few other Naim units and none are anywhere near as vocal as the NDX.

The Olive, and perhaps CB, era full width cases e.g. NAP250 outer sleeves rang like a bell. Naim's modification was (what always look to me like a strip of Halfords car door protector trim) a slide on bit of black plastic that sat over the back of the tray and could be pushed up a bit to contact the outer sleeve. I will leave it up to others to discuss the relative merits 😂

Reactions: MJS
There's more "open air" inside the the NDX case than, say the amplifiers and power supplies (Flatcap excluded).

Dynamat is readily available, easy to cut and apply to the inside of the case and dampens the case really well. There are other brands that likely work as well including a Halfords version they sell in their car audio section. It’s designed to dampen the inside of car doors and other areas so so is super sticky and extremely unlikely to ever come loose and cause issues inside the case of hifi.

I had thought about using some of my stock of self adhesive car dampening sheets but am very apprehensive about opening the NDX up and placing it inside (there’s quite a large transformer in there) and would never pop it outside as it would look awful.

I first noticed it whilst listening to an EDM track a couple of months back and pausing the track as my phone was ringing, a sharp tap from a finger has the same effect. Interestingly if you strike the top of the case with your finger to set the bells a ringing and then place a largish blob of blue tack on the top it silences the ringing almost immediately.

I have tried this trick on some other Naim units and it does the same on those as well, but the noises from the other cases are no where near the loudness of the NDX.

Is this issue with humming and buzzing gear by Naim still not resolved by Naim? Worth getting it checked over by Naim?

Gear should not hum and buzz. NAD, B&O, Vitus, Pioneer, Linn, dartzeel, Soulution, Tron, Panasonic, Sony, Apple, DCS, Merging, Kondo, Nelson, Neodio….zero, zilch, nadda.

When I was in the Naim world I put empty CD-cases on top of the equipment. Stopped them ringing and it was easy reversable.

use these.. drum dampening pads..https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dampener-Silicone-Silencers-Dampening-Dampeners/dp/B0C3QR7KLR/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?adgrpid=1172080316552160&hvadid=73255224302173&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=4926&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73255176414287%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=27304_1855200&keywords=drum+dampeners+pads&qid=1704871987&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A3BQS0HYZB2SOS

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Good question... full answer to which is as yet undisclosed. How is this 'ringing' manifesting itself? Lots of things resonate in a room... do all those need the same treatment?
Everything will be resonating, but a few are far more audible than others and once heard its difficult to un-hear.

Another example in my case was a clock that was “buzzing” on certain tracks, once again my trusty old blue tack came to the rescue

use these.. drum dampening pads..https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dampener-Silicone-Silencers-Dampening-Dampeners/dp/B0C3QR7KLR/ref=sr_1_4_sspa?adgrpid=1172080316552160&hvadid=73255224302173&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=4926&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-73255176414287%3Aloc-188&hydadcr=27304_1855200&keywords=drum+dampeners+pads&qid=1704871987&sr=8-4-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A3BQS0HYZB2SOS

Great idea, I have some drum pads somewhere, will search them out and give them a whirl.

you can use some sorbothane sheets

Will look into Sorbothane sheets too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Back when I had a rack of Olive series Naim gear, I placed a couple of small strips of Blu-tack on the junction of the top plate & the rear panel to deaden the ringing the OP mentions. Just a 2” or so long thin roll of blue tack was enough to do the job without compromising any airflow for cooling etc.

advertisement

Back