advertisement

[FS] Naim ND5 XS2 streamer ** mint condition ** 3 years old

Out of interest, I know the MK2 version (this version you have for sale) of the ND5XS streamer can handle Qbuz high resolution files but did the boffins at naim HQ add Tidal MQA decoding (unfolding whatever) to the mix?

I mainly stream from Tidal (with an older ND5XS) and accessing the high resolution files is beyond its capabilities which is a little frustrating.

Being able to get access to hi-res might just tempt me.

May I ask why after three years you are selling?

I'm only just down the road from you too 👍

Naim streamers do not handle MQA and there is no plan for them to do so. Tidal are introducing high res flac and I understand that Naim will introduce this functionality at some point. At the moment you are limited to CD quality on Tidal.

Thanks for clearing that up Mr. Halibut but which then prompts the question, if and when Tidal offer Flac files will naim streamers be firmware upgradable to access them (BOTH versions of the ND5XS or possibly just the MK2 version)??

Guessing this is a question for the naim forum?

Out of interest, I know the MK2 version (this version you have for sale) of the ND5XS streamer can handle Qbuz high resolution files but did the boffins at naim HQ add Tidal MQA decoding (unfolding whatever) to the mix?

I mainly stream from Tidal (with an older ND5XS) and accessing the high resolution files is beyond its capabilities which is a little frustrating.

Being able to get access to hi-res might just tempt me.

May I ask why after three years you are selling?

I'm only just down the road from you too 👍
I'm selling my whole system - this is pretty much the last bit, as it wasn't getting used enough given the configuration of my house, family habits etc etc. One day, when i have a more dedicated room, I may rebuild a system of this callibre, but in the meantime it's with some sadness that I am looking to fund other things.

Naim streamers do not handle MQA and there is no plan for them to do so. Tidal are introducing high res flac and I understand that Naim will introduce this functionality at some point. At the moment you are limited to CD quality on Tidal.

So sorry to hijack the thread, but is the NDX the same - unable to play HiRes files from Tidal?

Best to get advice on this from the naim forum.

As I understand it, the older versions of all the naim streamers cannot stream MQA files from the Tidal platform....it's CD quality only 16 bit/ 44.1khz.

Pretty sure even the later streamers cannot stream MQA either (but can access Qbuz Hi-Res).

However Tidal are now offering Hi-Res FLAC files....Naim forum saying earlier units again probably will have trouble with these as the buffer sizes are too small.....but I wait with interest to see if this is true.

This Streamer (ND5XS2) can definitely do Qbuz.

advertisement

Back