advertisement

Naim ND5 XS 2 vs Auralic Aries G1 + Chord Hugo1

Stereolabb

Hi All,

First post and apologies if this has been covered before. I’m contemplating a fairly comprehensive upgrade on my existing digital front end. Currently I have a Sonos Connect and Rega DAC. Having already got some Naim gear being a Supernait, I felt Naim and there new gen2 streamers would be a good start.

However Auralic with their G1 have really knocked it out the park. I was was thinking as an alternative option of teaming the G1 with a second hand Chord Hugo1 or Qutest DAC.

These two options would come in at very similar costing. Interested in some thoughts on these two. Pros and cons, recommendations and any experience that people may have had.

Thanks

John

Haven’t heard the G1, but I have heard the ND5XS a few times. The Naim is very good indeed. As you already have a supernait, it seems natural to go for the Naim streamer. The Naim app is also easy to use & the remote control is very nice.
Important, as there isn’t a display screen on the streamer. Move up to the NDX2 & you get the display screen as well as a better sound all round & it can also, be further upgraded by adding an external power supply, which you can’t do with the ND5XS.
Ultimately you will probably want/ need to demo them against each other, so finding a dealer that stocks both will be important.

The NDX 2 is double the price of the ND5 XS 2.

I own the latter and if you can live without the screen and the remote I would go for it, you won’t be disappointed at all

M.

I don't think the screen is that important, sound quality first. Coming from a Sonos I'm used to using the app only.

Is it fair to say the ND5 XS 2 is on parity to the CD5 XS in sound quality? Has anyone done a comparison between the two?

I have an Aries G2 providing a digital signal for a Hugo TT into Naim 552/300. I have owned a Naim CD555. My current source is the best I’ve ever had. Rumour has it the G2 is not streets ahead if the G1.

My point, this is way ahead of CD5XS.

.sjb

Haven’t heard the G1, but I have heard the ND5XS a few times. The Naim is very good indeed. As you already have a supernait, it seems natural to go for the Naim streamer. The Naim app is also easy to use & the remote control is very nice.
Important, as there isn’t a display screen on the streamer. Move up to the NDX2 & you get the display screen as well as a better sound all round & it can also, be further upgraded by adding an external power supply, which you can’t do with the ND5XS.
Ultimately you will probably want/ need to demo them against each other, so finding a dealer that stocks both will be important.
You can add power supplies to the ND5XS, the XPS for a start (or the Teddy Pardo version).

I haven't directly compared the ND5XS2 with the CD5xs, but to a degree it will depend on the source of music. If you are using Tidal or Qobuz stream, I would guess the streamer would out-perform the CDP. I'm basing that guess on the assumption that the DAC, Power supply & chip-set will be a newer/better version than that in the CDP. It is an excellent streamer.

Yes not being 100% up on streaming, I wasn't sure if their is a performance hit for Tidal as opposed to flac or hi-res stored on your NAS. If the ND5XS2 out performs the CD5xs via Tidal, I'd be happy with that. It should be, as I think it's more expensive than the CD5xs when it was sold new. Shame you can't upgrade the power supply anymore.

I’ve owned a ND5 XS 2 since earlier February and I absolutely love it! It’s my first venture into streaming and my first Naim product too. I haven’t compared it to the ones you’ve mentioned but I did compare it to a couple of Linn streamers, sorry can’t remember the models. The Linn streamers left me cold. This is coming from someone who’s owned a Linn system for over twenty years.

I did demo the ND5 XS 2 with the Nait 5si and Nait XS 2 and really didn’t like either. I never tried the Supernait as it was beyond my budget. I tried the Exposure 3010s2d and loved it straight away.

As for going further up the line-up. From reviews I’ve read and chat on the Naim forum, those who have heard the ND5 and NDX next to each have said although the NDX is better it’s not by much and would think carefully about spending the saved money elsewhere.

My last CD player was the Linn Akurate which was very good but I had an ikemi before that which I enjoyed a lot more and always regretted selling it. The ND5 XS 2 is on another to both those players. I’ve only been streaming via Tidal at the moment with the free 90 day trial you get with the ND5. I will start to rip my CD’s in the future but for now I’ve more than happy with Tidal.

The system I have now is extremely close the sound I’ve been searching for 30 odd years.

A couple of points to finish off with. I did demo the Atom and Nova and I found the screens off putting. I much prefer the look of the ND5.
As for a remote. I did start off using my Android phone but I’ve recently bought an iPad Air and much prefer it.

As for not having the option to add a Power Supply. I’m very anti upgrades (years of LP12 ownership will do that to you) and extra boxes. The ND5 is already stunning. If you want to upgrade buy a better amp or speakers.

Basically have a demo and don’t rule out anything.

Good luck

Cheers
Rob

I haven't heard the new Naim streamers but I previously heard the ND5XS, NDX and NDS and was always underwhelmed. The NDX that I owned wasn’t a patch on the CDX2 I also owned at the time, and in the end I sold the NDX and bought my current Nova Fidelity X40 streamer which is better in every way and was half the price.

Last edited:
I don't own an ND5 XS5 (sadly), but was blown away when I hooked one up to a Nait XS2 in the shop. Killer combo.

Is your existing amp the original Supernait or a Supernait 2?

What improvements are you looking for over your existing set up? What speakers do you use?

If you like the Naim sound and the general naimyness of all things Salisbury, then stick with Naim. They are well supported and hold value well, come the time to change or whatever. The Naim app is very good and easy to use; I prefer it to the Auralic version. Don't underestimate the app when assessing streamers/players.

If you're not a box swapper, I'd be seriously tempted to take a look at a Naim Uniti Nova. There are usually some good deals around on ex dem units, which would normally have full warranty (which, to correct misinformation that is commonly spouted on this forum, is a basic 2 years plus an extension of 3 years parts and labour (exc CD drives), when registered, to the original owner. Only the basic 2 year warranty is transferable. Many don't believe this, so I will paste below from the Naim web site:

"1. What is included in this Warranty?

If a Naim Audio product is defective in normal domestic use, due to a fault in materials or workmanship, Naim Audio will at its discretion (and subject to the terms contained herein) either regulate, adjust, repair or replace it free of charge within a reasonable time after return of such product during the Warranty period to Naim Audio’s address (detailed below). This Warranty is offered from the date of purchase by the original end user and covers the cost of parts and associated labour required to correct such defects in materials or workmanship arising and advised to your retailer or Naim Audio during a period of Two (2) Years from the original date of purchase.

Please keep a copy of the sales receipt to establish the purchase date of the product.

4. In addition - [Optional] Limited 3-year Extended Warranty

Provided that, within 6 months of the date of purchase, EITHER we receive your fully completed Registration Card OR you complete the Product Registration Form on our website, we will enrol you (the original purchaser) for our extended 3-year warranty. This Extended Warranty covers parts and labour (excluding CD/DVD laser transports, components and hard drives) and, except as otherwise stated below in this paragraph 4, is subject to the terms and conditions set out herein.

This Extended Warranty is offered exclusively to the original purchaser of a Naim Audio product (excluding mu-so products) and only when, within 6 months of the original purchase of the product, a valid completed registration card has been returned to Naim Audio or you complete the Product Registration Form on our website.

In the event of a change of ownership during the product’s life, only the basic two-year manufacturer’s warranty will be transferred to the new owner. Please note that proof of original purchase must be provided. Extended warranty is non-transferable."
).

Many will advocate having a separate DAC and streamer, but I've found integrated units to have the edge, SQ wise.

Don't forget to distinguish between a network player and a streamer. Most units do both of these functions, but they may be, for example, a better network player, than streamer.

Ripping loads of CDs should now be questioned, as lossless streaming services are now good with extensive catalogues. It's always difficult to directly compare a Tidal stream vs a local fie or CD, as you can never be quite sure which master you're listening to.

I've always found that a CD via a decent transport in to a DAC/streamer will yield slightly higher SQ than a stream. Others have different views.

If you want to consider above the units you have already highlighted, then explore a Moon 380D MiND or V MiND. Warranty on new Moon products is 10 years.

There is one prominent member in the Naim Forum who uses a Hugo into his 552 -- not sure whether the ND5XS2 would be up for the job... Chord DACs are great, and work extremely well with Naim... If you can afford the ND5 you could also manage a Quest or Hugo 2 plus something like Allo DigiOne Signature and a decent linear power supply for the Allo. This combo should rock! :)

advertisement

Back