advertisement

Naim Nat03 upgrade?

Pirx

pfm Member
Probably a missed shot but is there anything to be done to bring NAT03 closer to 02/01 (never heard either ) or it's inherently thwarted by a simplified RF path ?
The reason I ask is that's it's a nice relaxing tuner but far behind Tandberg 3001 which admittedly is one of five best FM tuners ever made.
The other reason is that although I have Tandberg 3001 and Accuphase (T1000 and T101 ) Sansui TU999 and a few other tuners, I would like to have a clean Naim stack without additional box on a cupboard. It just looks positively medieval with that Saxon vibe and I really like that design. I don't want to hunt (and spend the money) half width boxes and go on Merry round again.
TIA

It does have a much simpler FM tuner head, plus of course a vastly simplified power supply. But if you wanted to improve it, most of the circuitry after the FM tuner head is the same as the NAT02 and would benefit from each section having its own regulator.
IIRC the two regulators bolted to the back of the chassis are 5v for the display circuitry and 15v for everything else. Adding a couple more regulators to power the stereo decoder and output stages separately would yield quite an improve I reckon.

It does have a much simpler FM tuner head, plus of course a vastly simplified power supply. But if you wanted to improve it, most of the circuitry after the FM tuner head is the same as the NAT02 and would benefit from each section having its own regulator.
IIRC the two regulators bolted to the back of the chassis are 5v for the display circuitry and 15v for everything else. Adding a couple more regulators to power the stereo decoder and output stages separately would yield quite an improve I reckon.
Interesting. Does anything similar apply to the NAT05?

Since 2013 I've used a NAT05XS with a HighcapDR. I've wondered if that was overkill and whether a Flatcap would have given just as much, but I already had the HC, so tried it and it stayed. There was a view amongst some Naim staff at the time that NAT05XS with HC could be compared to a NAT01. Not sure about that, and I've never heard an 01 to make any sort of judgement.

Probably a missed shot but is there anything to be done to bring NAT03 closer to 02/01 (never heard either ) or it's inherently thwarted by a simplified RF path ?
The reason I ask is that's it's a nice relaxing tuner but far behind Tandberg 3001 which admittedly is one of five best FM tuners ever made.
The other reason is that although I have Tandberg 3001 and Accuphase (T1000 and T101 ) Sansui TU999 and a few other tuners, I would like to have a clean Naim stack without additional box on a cupboard. It just looks positively medieval with that Saxon vibe and I really like that design. I don't want to hunt (and spend the money) half width boxes and go on Merry round again.
TIA
You need a NAT 01 to come close to the Tandberg 3001 A.

"You need a NAT 01 to come close to the Tandberg 3001 A."
That's what I thought but I will do those PSU upgrades to get as much from it as possible. Tandberg 3001A is my favorite tuner so far. There is nothing better than a good radio.
Thank You for all replies.

advertisement

Back