advertisement

Naim NAT01 Tuner good price?

Be careful, I don’t think Naim have spares of the fluorescent(?) display, so it depends how bright it is. I know of someone who sourced a display themselves and Naim were very helpful in replacing it and the service work.

After ownership of a 101 and then an 01 for another 20 years with upper Naim kit, I think the 01 is overrated. It's good, certainly, if devoid of facilities, but there are others which both equal and out-perform it.
You got my attention here……….

Would you mind giving us a list of the tuners that out-perform the NAT 01 ?

I love the sound of it but looking for a better sensitivity and also a tuner that can be repaired with parts that are still available !

To the OP : this tuner sounds amazingly good according to me (I had one for a year) but the sensitivity is very limited and the led display is often failing and no longer available.

You got my attention here……….

Would you mind giving us a list of the tuners that out-perform the NAT 01 ?

I love the sound of it but looking for a better sensitivity and also a tuner that can be repaired with parts that are still available !

To the OP : this tuner sounds amazingly good according to me (I had one for a year) but the sensitivity is very limited and the led display is often failing and no longer available.
Have a read through this:
And this:

Have a read through this:
And this:
I know about these but I’m looking for something more compact, a NAD or a small British kind of tuner.

I bought my NAT01 about 20 or even 25 years ago and it sounded brilliant but it was, even then, way behind the times in having to rotate a dial to tune in to different stations. However it had something about it and you could not but love it.

Today it still sounds lovely but the LED display has completely gone. I now have to tune into other stations blind which is both irritating and amusing at the same time.

It occupies a shelf in my Hifi rack and from a practical point of review, I should either replace it with a NAT05 which sounds good and is up to date or with a Naim streamer but for some daft reason I cannot bring myself to let it go.

So I get down on my knees which is not easy nor dignified at the age of 75 and fiddle with the knob until I find the right channel. Then the hardest bit is getting up which I do along with a lot of grunting.

I cannot decide whether I am being loyal to an iconic tuner that is all but a legend or being plain bloody stupid in a pointless allegiance to an old relic.

I have nine Hutter shelves and the wood has developed a beautiful patina over time which will be difficult to match so a tenth shelf would look awful, thus the NAT01 cannot stay if I decide to replace it with something else, it is simply one or the other, I cannot have both.

Woe is me.

Avoid this like the plague !

I had one years ago, and being the early model, it had the vacuum fluorescent display- which was unobtainable even 12 years ago. Naim service department didn’t want to know,

The symptom was that it was very dim, and could only be seen in a completely darkened room.

The tuner also drifted off tune, after being on for about 45 minutes.

Could be used as useful door stop however……

Great sound (I owned one), probably the best tuner I have owned (even better than my previous Revox 261), but the display was going, so it got sold. I now use an old Arcam manual tuner, sounds great and just works, not quite the magic of the Naim, but hey-ho.

I think the solution is the meridian 104. It looks like it shouldn't be but is a wonderful tuner (see all the shoot outs above!)

Or a 204 for that matter. I have had lots of tuners over the years and the 01 was one of them. I seriously would not bother with one. The nth degree of broadcast quality is just not there these days anyway and there are some superb vintage options that rival or better it for sound quality from Sansui, Sony, Pioneer and Kenwood to name a few as well as old favs like the Meridians. Many of those will not end up door stops through a failed display.

Over the years I have had a number of tuners including Creek, 4 Quad FM4, Naim 101 and Magnum Dynalab x2.
The SQ of the 101 was dramatically lifted after upgrades were made to the Snaps PSU.
Currently I use the Magnum Dynalab FT101A Etude..............gorgeous!! One day I will put the GOLD spare fascia on it
🤣 🤣 🤣

Seriously the secret to good FM sound is the aerial. Pleased I invested in a Ron Smith. It lifted every tuner I have used

advertisement

Back