advertisement

Naim Nap250

happy_guy

Hey there, I heard that the old 250 (the output devices are located outside at the back) sounds better than newer ones. Is there some truth to this? Are they hard to come by? Any idea about market value? Mark. :p

Not to sure if they would sound better than the current model but the first 250 I had Serial No:2255 had 8 transisters bolted on the back of the black screw together case. I think 4 were for power regulation and 4 were output devices. These were originally off the shelf transistors because I can remember taking it back to Naim and they updated them for their 01 transistors that they had made for them. It gave many years of excellent service before I sold it for £400 and put towards a new black extruded case 250. This was used with a NAC32 which was later updated with a new case selector switch etc. and several other components and became a NAC32.5 Ah the good old days.....

The transistors marked 01 were no made specifically for Naim , they just got the manufacturer to put 01 in place of their own part number on the case, so people like me couldnt buy them off the shelf.

The transistors marked 01 were no made specifically for Naim , they just got the manufacturer to put 01 in place of their own part number on the case, so people like me couldnt buy them off the shelf.

And that part number was? Just for the history books...

trying to pick a fight are we.
Well at the time Naim audio didnt have a designer for specific out put devices (still dont) , they simply took a device available off the shelf, that they liked , both sound wise and price wise. They then went to the manufacturer and asked that they build them with an alteration , namely the manufacturers name and code was replaced with Naim001. If yiou think they got a chip manufacturer to do the research to build a specific device , you are very niave indeed. How could I possibly know the code of that device as its not something Naim would let out , otherwise why would they bother to get it rebranded. You'll be telling me next "its got Naim 001" written on it so Naim actually make them in Salisbury.

This is what JV had to say on the subject:

I know that people who make 'copies' of commercial equipment derive
pleasure from the fact, but try as they might they are not Naim
clones. Over the years many engineers (and others) have shown us their
handy work, and we have put their efforts through 'test' - none have
come within an order of magnitude of our delivered performance
envelope.

Although we don't actually make the transistors we use in the 140 -
135 amps, they are our design and unique to us, as are our
transformers.

If you think that you are able to buy 'better' on the open market, I
think you will be disappointed, I have found there is no substitute
for getting the wafer diffused by the best diffusers, and buying the
best headers, followed by the most suitable cans and then getting the
best assemblers to put'em all together - this is way beyond what even
the smaller hi-fi companies can achieve.

please please yourselves, but don't delude yourselves.

julian

the only unique bit is the Naim001 stamped on them , hes got that covered , JV was a wiley old fox:D

Thanks for all the inputs. Trevor, do you remember how the old Naim sounded like (before it was 'updated')? A friend of mine offers me an old Naim. Lacking knowledge of how it performs and its market value, I'm not sure whether I should buy it..... Any suggestions? Mark.

Hi Mark,

As a user of a pair of NAP160's that are of about the same date as the 250 in question (i.e 1970's bolt-together casing), I'd say that the amps from that period sound fantastic and if the price/condition is right, then i'd go for it. What is the rest of your system?

Cheers!

Adrian

Thanks for your tip Adrian. The offer includes a crossover and a preamp (don't remember the model). Interesting to know that 4 of the transistors are used in the regulator. Do you think the power amp is worth 400 pounds today? How well will the Naim work with LS35As or Spendor BC1s? Any ideas? Mark.

Hi Mark
I'd echo Adrians comments the amp sounded great and not really much different after updating. If it has never been serviced it would probabley be very worth while as the large reservoir capacitors may leak as they only last around 10 years before degrading. I think I paid around £750 for the 250 new, unserviced in the last 10 years I recon one would be worth around £200. Might be worth contacting Naim with it's serial number and they can let you know it's history.
Regards - Trevor

I used to own one of these 250's and it was SO sweet, believe it or not. It was more like a pair of EAR 509's we had at the time.

Back in those days, we were on good terms with JV and he took great trouble to compare (in Salisbury) the early chrome bumper 250 with the original "bolt up" one. We were concerned the CB one was too harsh sounding(!!!!!!).

The conclusion we reached after comparing both versions was the "old" case version was a bit "soft" and cuddly, whereas the CB one was faster, considerably more "dynamic" but nowhere near as forgiving. I'd say the balance of the 135 had the best of both layouts, but better!

If the original 250 is not too expensive, I'd get it. With a more modern Naim pre-amp I'd suggest it would be superb, even now.

Zener,
Naim may have requested that their transistors be skewed to a particular process
corner, how familiar are you with silicon production ?

How well will the Naim work with LS35As or Spendor BC1s? Any ideas? Mark.

Very well indeed. In my Naim days, I had BC1, SP1 and LS3/5a with Naim 32.5, Snaps and 250. I did enjoy the sound.

I can just second this. LS3/5a's work great with Naim amps.

JohanR

Thanks for your tip Adrian. The offer includes a crossover and a preamp (don't remember the model). Interesting to know that 4 of the transistors are used in the regulator. Do you think the power amp is worth 400 pounds today? How well will the Naim work with LS35As or Spendor BC1s? Any ideas? Mark.

Hi Mark,

I'd say 400 is a good price for a clean, unmarked example. (Other opinions are available...).

Are you sure it's a crossover that's been offered and not a power supply? If it is a crossover, does it look anything like this one?

http://impulse7.com/naim/inside/xo/naxo_03.jpg

(seen from the back, unfortunately)

Cheers!

Adrian

I think £400 is a great price for a thirty year old power amp. As well the "usual suspects" I still think Naim themselves will look after it for you. A far cry from another, less well known manufacturer who's interest waned as soon as the product was discontinued (probably couldn't afford to stock up on obsolete parts).

Adrian, the crossover resembles your jpg. Apparently, this set came from the 'famed' Linn 3-way active speaker system which has 3 NAP250s. Extravagant I guess. Thanks for your info DSJR. Although I live in Canada, I own a lot of British HiFi especially older KEF speakers. Love the 104ab sound - cultured, smooth, and yet punchy. By any chance do you folks have any schematics? Mark.

advertisement

Back