advertisement

Naim NAP150x & NAC202 - Terrible hiss

ThELiZ

pfm Member
Hi guys.

I just recently purchased a NAC202 from the classifieds. I was looking for a NAP200 to partner it but ended up with a NAP150x until I can get some more cash together.

I received the NAP150x today, purchased 2nd hand from ebay, and when I plugged it in for the first time there was the usual 'hum'. Noticeably louder than my old NAIT XS, and this hum doesn't appear to be going away. It comes and goes. Whereas the XS would settle down.

The most annoying thing, however, is the terrible 'hiss' that is coming from my speakers. This is a constant hiss that is present whether the volume knob is up or down, or even muted. It's quite audible when music goes into a quiet section and when a new track is about to be played.

Also, when I go to give it some juice, say at the 10 o'clock stage, it just makes a really nasty 'hum' that is audible through the music.

Is this a case of dirty power? I suspect the problem is the 150x. Am I right in thinking this?

Hope someone can help.

It would turn out that I'm a complete idiot. I use an internal DAC in my PC, and my settings in foobar2000 were set so that the volume was all the way down!

I know have the volume back to where it should be, and am using wasapi to bypass windows7 drivers. The hiss is still pretty audible though, but this might be the 'Naim Hiss'. It wasn't this audible with my XS though.

Hi,

since I have had a NaitXS and now have a Nait5 (which, for some reasons, I like more, being more hydiomatically >Naim< to my ears), I am also considering a future power upgrade for my largish room, hence a Nap150x, same period and voicing.
Could you share any impressions on the difference you will be experiencing?

Thanks,
Max

Hi,

...now have a Nait5 (which, for some reasons, I like more, being more hydiomatically >Naim< to my ears), I am also considering a future power upgrade for my largish room, hence a Nap150x ..

Max,

How do you intend to use the 150x with a nait 5 ?

Because in my experience, nait 5 is limited by the line stage. You can make it sound more powerful with a Hicap, it won't really go louder, but within it's power envelope it sounds more assured.

cheers

Peter

advertisement

Back