advertisement

Naim Nait 2 questions

Agree with everything that @Charlie_1 said. I have had the joy of recently comparing NAP 90, 110, BD160 and BD250. The 90 was sold straight away, the new owner comparing it to a 140 (better) then another 110 (best). I mostly use the 160 in my system, but the 110 comes a close second, certainly in preference to the 250, as long as your speakers are not too hard to drive.

And my NAIT 1 is currently in the bedroom system, it sounds totally different to the 32.5/hicap/160, as you would expect, rather flat and 2-D.

Agree with everything that @Charlie_1 said. I have had the joy of recently comparing NAP 90, 110, BD160 and BD250. The 90 was sold straight away, the new owner comparing it to a 140 (better) then another 110 (best). I mostly use the 160 in my system, but the 110 comes a close second, certainly in preference to the 250, as long as your speakers are not too hard to drive.

As @trick cyclist says I bought his rather splendid 90 and then came across a 140 which was better. But I had heard that the 110 was the sweet spot for my 32.5 and was lucky enough to get a good one via @1000RPM. I am now a very contented bunny after the addition of a TeddyCap and some RSL boards. I would add that my CB Nait2 stills sounds rather good in my 2nd second system.

@Charlie_1 is giving good advice.

Has anyone paired a Nait 2 with Neat Acoustics Iota speakers (the little ones)? If you have good, bad or indifferent? My listening room is quite small and partner is sadly adverse to even moderately loud music...for that I revert to my headphone amplifier.

Last night I spent an enjoyable night listening to a Nait 2 + Audio Note AX2s, the source being a DIY Lenco 75 with a DIY Well Tempered tonearm and a Rega Apheta 1 cart + Rega Aria mk. My friend is thinking about having the Nait 2 serviced but wonder if it will improve its ability to render complex and dynamic classical music. I did not detect anything wrong with the way it sounded and felt that the details were all there, but as I am used to valves these days, I missed a sense of depth to the sound stage. I suggested that for peace of mind he should send it to Sheffield for a service. At least then he would get it back sounding its best.
SSj8y2bl.jpg

FcgW2Qjl.jpg

Last night I spent an enjoyable night listening to a Nait 2 + Audio Note AX2s, the source being a DIY Lenco 75 with a DIY Well Tempered tonearm and a Rega Apheta 1 cart + Rega Aria mk. My friend is thinking about having the Nait 2 serviced but wonder if it will improve its ability to render complex and dynamic classical music. I did not detect anything wrong with the way it sounded and felt that the details were all there, but as I am used to valves these days, I missed a sense of depth to the sound stage. I suggested that for peace of mind he should send it to Sheffield for a service. At least then he would get it back sounding its best.
Looks like a good record collection there.
Is that a Brio he has as well?
I bought some AX2's to try with the Nait since they are quite efficient for a smallish speaker. I really enjoyed them with some Ella or Sinatra etc., but felt much of the Nait's rhythmic strengths were lost. Lovely midrange though.

Has anyone paired a Nait 2 with Neat Acoustics Iota speakers (the little ones)? If you have good, bad or indifferent? My listening room is quite small and partner is sadly adverse to even moderately loud music...for that I revert to my headphone amplifier.

Yes I have. The Iotas are lovely little speakers but I found that the Nait2 did not have enough power to make them really sing. They were being used for near field listening in an office. My daughter now have them powered by an ARCAM Delta 60 amp and they sound much better. My Nait2 now powers Spendor S3/5R2s rather well. :)

Yes I have. The Iotas are lovely little speakers but I found that the Nait2 did not have enough power to make them really sing. They were being used for near field listening in an office. My daughter now have them powered by an ARCAM Delta 60 amp and they sound much better. My Nait2 now powers Spendor S3/5R2s rather well. :)

Really appreciate you telling me this...and kind of confirmed what I have read...and consequently, I will stick with my Heed Obelisk si/X2 combination...and try and forget the past :)

Changing the Neat Iota speakers is not an option...so another interesting idea bites the dust.. c'est la vie!

Having owned a Nait 1, Nait 2 and a couple of Nait 3s , I feel the 2 is the nicest sounding of the lot. It will certainly drive Iotas to adequate levels ( this is the setup of my second system) and there is a real synergy in this combination.

Not sure about a multi box solution, I owned most preamps up to 82 and the only one I liked was the 12

A Nait 3 seems to have more grunt but whether it’s sweet enough I’m not sure, it’s a bit in-yer-face compared to the 2, FWIW I find the Nait 2 does imaging and depth in a very natural and musical way. I actually tried it driving my Shahinian Larcs in the main system and it was gorgeous . A Nait 3 did not cope with the Larcs at all , I have no idea why but it sounded like it was clipping all the time . Not Kimber cable either, aLthough I think the internal cabling of Larcs is Kimber

I listen mostly at low to moderate volume.
I have tried dozens of amplifiers from exposure to jvc, audiolab, nait 5i, XS, audiolab but the one that gives me more joy is the little Nait 2. It just has something about it that stands out and really engages music a low level.
Of course there are better amps out there but for me the Nait 2 is the sweet spot.

What I find a little odd in all this is that anyone with a Nait 1/2 find any later Nait model inferior.
Some use stronger language than that!

I'm ambivalent about Naim, but I would have thought they know what they've doing when it comes to designing amplifiers.

They must know that people like the 1/2.
I'm sure the Nait enthusiasts have told them...

I'm ambivalent about Naim, but I would have thought they know what they've doing when it comes to designing amplifiers.

Knew.

Years ago Linn released a speaker call the Nexus, a terrible sounding thing which quickly became the best selling speaker they'd ever built. So then what did they do?

Despite enthusiasts paying crazy money for ancient Naits, Naim no longer make a simple, low power integrated with no remote control. It's not about pleasing those with taste, it's about pleasing the highest number of potential buyers. Naim do know how to build amplifiers but the name of the game is selling them.

advertisement

Back