advertisement

Naim Nait 2 - any good? I've just acquired a system with this included.

beammeup

pfm Member
I've just collected the whole shebang from London - the system comprises:

Arcam Alpha CD Player
Arcam Alpha Tuner
Naim Nait 2 amp
Linn Index speakers with Linn floor stands (they look stuck on but nice and substantial?).
All associated cables and manuals plus the Target Hi-Fi rack they all sat on.

Plus a little Sony record player and speakers which are nothing to write home about by the looks of them.

For me - at a guess - the Nait 2 is the stand out item (although I've never heard one yet). I've yet to plug it all in and listen - anyone here with advice on the Naim as such?

I have other things to test and try before plugging the kit it - but thought I would ask your opinions before taking it for a spin.

A Nait-2 can be a supremely capable little amp, provided the caps aren’t gone. Even if they are, a recap is inexpensive and the amp is entirely able to hold its own against many considerably more expensive amps. I’ve had one for about 18 years now, and whilst it certainly isn’t perfect, it is a superb wee thing that punches well above its weight. The rest of what you have bought is probably not up to much, but the Nait 2 is a gem of a thing.

The Nait2 is a keeper - a fantastic little amp that is far better than the sum of its parts. They can go quite long between services too as nothing was ever really stressed inside. The exception being the CB models with the green lit Naim logo, those LEDs can die but it's all fixable.

If you don't like you could sell on for decent money these days, anything from the early Naim era is a matter of taste, I personally think it's superb as long as you don't want huge volumes in a large room that is. It will certainly bring your music to life.

I owned a 30 year old model, never serviced, sounded excellent, unless it's not working as it should, I would leave it alone.

OK, when I get the chance I will probably just plug it all together and listen to the Naim in the context of the system it came with (driving the Linn Index speakers) - then after that, try it in my system.

Looks like a potentially nice system.... Wondering how much you paid and how much of a bargain you've collected...

I’ll second that.

Interesting - because the Alpha range was Arcam's budget offering.

Not wired it all up because I'm still auditioning that fantastic ISO-HUB that John Kenny is lending members of PFM. I'm listening to that ISO-HUB DAC via an Aries Mini and I have to admit it sounds superb. In due course I would like to mix old with new, fronting this amazing modern digital front end setup with the Naim Nait 2 and appropriate loudspeakers.

NAIT 2s are starting to appear in ads with asking prices upwards of $1500. over here. IIRC, MSRP was $1250.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back