advertisement

Naim NAC82 PS - Is a Supercap worthwhile?

Getting rid of a pre is feasible with a single source, a DAC (or phono stage ) with a volume control.

If you see the 82 as the end, get another HiCap. If its a step towards a 52, a super cap is a step less. (and guarantee's equality with power supplies)

Ps. I've just read the second post that is critical of the 82. All I can say is that I've had mine for less than a week and it's definitely a worthwhile step up from the 102 (which was itself very enjoyable)

It's got twice as many buttons too.

If you use digital sources only then the value of a pre amp these days can be a bit questionable. You can certainly connect a dac with a volume control directly to a power amp, often with very good results. It depends on how well the dac's volume control has been implemented. The theoretically best sort of solution would be something like the Benchmark dac2 which just slides the output down the range of a DAC with far more bits than you actually need with no compromise to output impedance. Hard to see how a pre amp can be any better than transparent with a system like that. In a lesser implementation though the preamp does an impedance matching job as well as providing a volume control and some switching.

During several periods I possessed 3 Scap different. Every time Scap was preferred against 1 Hicap or 2 Hicap on 72 and 82. The biggest space in the box Scap, enters Transformer towards Regulation, decrease effects magnetic field.

In answer to the OP 'Is adding a Supercap to an 82 worthwhile' - yes, but not as worthwhile as subsequently adding a 52 to the Supercap. Never tried 2 x hicaps and I could never really relax with the 82 anyway.

As far as I can tell, the HiCap and the SuperCap are the same. They use the same circuits, same components, same transformer, same capacitors, etc. They also measure the same in terms of noise level. Technically, the only difference is that the Supercap has more outputs to power the NAC52/252, and obviously the price is not the same.

I believe that if they sound different it is for the same reasons that two HiCaps or two SuperCaps may sound different. Manufacturing year, maintenance, etc. Even the same HiCap will sound different new or old...

Is that correct though Teddy? The supercap trafo is better physically separated (and possibly bigger). The characteristics of the SC regulation are said to be improved by tighter component tolerances acheived in selection.

I once had an 82 with two HCs. It was a ridiculous set up having three power cords for a preamplifier (the other being the NAPSC for the digital gubbins). The 52/SC is so much better in every way possible. The SC route is highly recommended if the 52 is on your game plan.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I'm now thinking that picking up a second HiCap could be a mistake unless I get one very close in age to mine and even then the benefit might not be substantial. Opinion on the SC seems to be split but I guess at least with that you know everything came out of the factory on the same day.

Each HiCap powers both channels of a different stage of the amplifier. There is no problem using different HiCaps. You can even mix one Naim HiCap and one totally different 3rd party HiCap.

You can consider the NAC82 as two amplifiers in one box, one amplifier is before the volume/balance potentiometers and the other one after. On older preamps such as the NAC72, which share the same circuit design with the NAC82, these two amplifier stages were implemented on independent boards.

The Supercap apparently uses better noise measuring regulators than he HiCap. Having toured Naim eons ago and having seen boxes of metal can 317 regulators in bins designated and graded for differing power supplies, I do honestly believe that Naim measured the noise performance of individual regulators and gave the best to Supercaps, the next best to HiCaps and the remainder to the digital supply PSU's.

That said I too moved from a 52 / Scap to valve with essentially a passive preamp section (Stingray) and don't feel that I am missing anything.

Each HiCap powers both channels of a different stage of the amplifier. There is no problem using different HiCaps. You can even mix one Naim HiCap and one totally different 3rd party HiCap.

My understanding was that when using two hicaps each hicap powers a channel. Is that not the case? Presumably, if using only one hicap then each power supply of that one hicap powers a channel.

You can consider the NAC82 as two amplifiers in one box, one amplifier is before the volume/balance potentiometers and the other one after. On older preamps such as the NAC72, which share the same circuit design with the NAC82, these two amplifier stages were implemented on independent boards.

With a 72, if I pull the buffer and phono boards all I am left with two music circuits, one for each channel - 'line left' and 'line right'. When adding a hicap in this situation, my understanding was that only one power supply will be used (rather than one power supply per channel if that same hicap were used on the 82). That must mean the circuit design in the 72 is different to the 82 right?

Does anyone know what is powered by either 2 supplies from a hicap or 4 supplies from a supercap on the 82? If the PSU's operate on a channel level then presumably phono board pulling is more of a bonus on the 82 than on the 72.

Hi Muzak
A silly or naive question perhaps, but is it not easier to just audition a supercap vs. 1 or 2 hicaps with your pre-amp, then decide which sound you think is better?

Ultimately, isn't this the only test that matters, rather than the engineering arguments about which set up should be better and the numerous reasons why?

Best regards from a simple soul, FT

Not silly or naive. However, I am not the OP so it is not my question. I am interested in what powers what in various HC/SC 72/82 permutations.

The SC has both better power supplies than the HC and more available supplies if needed. Clearly its level of benefit in the latter area depends on what pre it is used with.

Whether boards are pulled seems relevant - particularly for a HC with the 82 (as the 72 does not use a HC to the full with boards pulled because the 2 x supplies are not powering each channel).

FT, you're not wrong that an audition of the various options would be wise, but sadly finding someone willing to loan a HiCap ( of the right vintage?) and a SC or even having these available and within striking distance seems a long shot.

TBH I'm not following all of the technical discussions despite being proud of my Physics A level, but I'm happy to read it, absorb the subjective input from everyone and let it influence my next investment/gamble!

advertisement

Back