advertisement

Naim Nac 52 & PS with 135's vs ATC SCM40A

Thomsong

pfm Member
Hi Guys

I'm upgrading from a Nac 82 to a 52 (I had one before and loved it). I currently use an olive 250 for the power amp. Thinking ahead would a pair of 135's into my Monitor Audio 20SE's sound better than a pair of ATC SCM 40A direct from the 52? I'm hoping someone has tried this.

Thanks

Rob

Thanks Woodface, The CDA2 looks good but I have I don't play cd's. I stream from my Naim NDS and play vinyl from my LP12. I quite like the 'Naim' sound too. Cheers

Thanks Woodface, The CDA2 looks good but I have I don't play cd's. I stream from my Naim NDS and play vinyl from my LP12. I quite like the 'Naim' sound too. Cheers
I had a full fat Naim system into SBLs. I play vinyl via a a Linto & have an Innuos as a digital front end.

I ran Naim gear into the active ATCs for a time, worth trying other options is all I’m saying;)

I can’t comment on your Olive system, but I did once compare its newer counterpart, 252/300 into SCM40, with a 252 direct into SCM40A. The 300 seemed to have much better grip and control over the speakers compared to the actives, and I preferred it. The actives would be quite a bit cheaper though.

I had a full fat Naim system into SBLs. I play vinyl via a a Linto & have an Innuos as a digital front end.

I ran Naim gear into the active ATCs for a time, worth trying other options is all I’m saying;)
Totally agree, but I had a 52 into 135's last year and loved it but I had to sell it thanks to the taxman. I want to go back down that route but I have had a hankering for the SCM 40's.

I can’t comment on your Olive system, but I did once compare its newer counterpart, 252/300 into SCM40, with a 252 direct into SCM40A. The 300 seemed to have much better grip and control over the speakers compared to the actives, and I preferred it. The actives would be quite a bit cheaper though.
I suppose that is the crux of the question, the ATC internal amp vs the Naim 135's or 300. Ideally I am trying cut the box count but I don't want to compromise on sound. Thank you

I only had a 250. I don’t see how the the 300 would have more grip than the tri-packs but can understand personal preference.

I aim to get 50s in the next two years, another scratch to itch.

I’m not familiar with the 40s but I’ve heard 50s plenty, active and driven by various Naim. Active is a bit of a no-brainer to be honest. I can’t imagine the 40s being different. So long as ATCs are your thing of course.

I’m not familiar with the 40s but I’ve heard 50s plenty, active and driven by various Naim. Active is a bit of a no-brainer to be honest. I can’t imagine the 40s being different. So long as ATCs are your thing of course.
I’ve never heard them but I people keep on raving about them. Time for a demo

Active ATCs are well worth a listen. I really like mine, but as Woodface says, personal preference is a big factor, particularly when it comes to loudspeakers. Lots of other options of course, active and passive. Good luck with the demos!

I had a 52/SC/SNAXO2-4/SC/4x135s -> SL2s active set up and now have Schiit Freya/ATC SCM40As. Due to refurbishing my property I only got to run the latter briefly before it went into storage, but I can say that for me the new system does some things better than the old and some things not quite as well. However overall it is a worthy replacement and look at the reduction in box count which is what I was after. Very happy with where I am now, but I loved that Naim system and would have it back in a heartbeat. I would think the 52 would work well into the ATCs as it's a bit more rounded than Naim's later pres and all the better for it IMO. I tried comparing my 52 to a 252 and preferred the 52, but it's all just personal taste of course.

I’d be inclined to hear some SCM40A’s and that should at least give you an idea of whether you like the ATC sound. As to whether it will be better or worse than the system you are suggesting, well hifi is all so subjective anyway. Some say the prefer ATC’s driven passively, the vast majority prefer active though.

As others, I’m very happy with my 40A’s, they are cracking value and most definitely reduce box count!

Hi Guys

I'm upgrading from a Nac 82 to a 52 (I had one before and loved it). I currently use an olive 250 for the power amp. Thinking ahead would a pair of 135's into my Monitor Audio 20SE's sound better than a pair of ATC SCM 40A direct from the 52? I'm hoping someone has tried this.

Thanks

Rob
I would imagine you are more likely to find people who have paired a 272 with the ATCs rather than a 52. If you like the 52/250 you’ll more than likely love the 135s and lose any itch in the process. However, I love the idea of active speakers and a streaming preamp and have given it a lot of thought but I know it would be a fling rather than a long term relationship. If I move on from the 52/135 it will be due to emigration and a complete change/downsize and won’t happen for a few years yet. Im talking maybe Dynaudio Focus 30 or Linn DSM/Exaktbox-i possibly 272/SCM40A or similar. Just my opinions.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I will definitely do the demo. I bought and sold a few pairs of speakers before I had settled on the 20Se’s and I’m not going down that route again.

135s will beat a 250 noticeably in grip and delicacy, though fan noise may annoy if you sit close to them and they get hot. I wanted 135s for years, but the rising cost of a serviced pair meant I got a 300DR instead to go with my 52 - it's better again.

I'd guess that ATC SCM40As beat the Monitor Audios, but passive ATCSCM40s driven by 300DR or 135s probably would too. Like others, strongly encourage listening to ATCs before deciding.

Finally, those with active ATCs may have a view on cable length. Naim power amps are very happy with long cables - mine are 18M long - but not at their best with much under 5M. Very long interconnects from 52 to active ATCs may work less well, so your room layout may be a factor too.

Good luck! Do let us know what wins after some listening in your room.

You may find this comparison between SCM50 actives and NAC252/300DS with SCM50 passive of interest then:

https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1135-atc-scm50-passive-active-loudspeaker
https://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/1135-atc-scm50-passive-active-loudspeaker
You'll find a review of the SCM40 passives on the same site too.

Summary - both superb, but vfm the actives are the way to go.

Birdseed007
Thanks I’ll have a read at lunchtime

advertisement

Back