advertisement

Naim nac 272 streamer

Dayvan cowboy

pfm Member
Regarding the above pre amp , does anybody know if the streamer section is akin to the nd5xs or the NDX.I’m aware both are “last gen” but they are more than enough for me .
Thanks in advance

While not exact, with no PS on the 272, it’s roughly in the ballpark of the nd5sx, and if you add an XPS it’s closer to the NDX.

That’s based on talk at the time and IIRC some quite detailed comparison notes by Huge on the Naim forum at the time.

(I was paying close attention to views of the 272 at the time and ended up owning one for a while).

I sold my NDX to someone wishing to run it into a 272, once they plugged it in, they reported a big improvement.

I once spoke to my dealer about getting rid of my SN2 and NDX and buying a 272 and 250dr, they said I’d live to regret it as the pre amp in the 272 isn’t as good as the SN2 and the steamer/dac is no where near on par of the NDX, they said I’d be worst off, keep what I’ve got.

Over on the green forum, there’s lots that have added an XPS2-DR or a 555PS to their 272’s to upgrade them.

To be honest, you could sell the 272 and get a Linn Akurate DS or DSM, they seem really cheap at the moment. I’ve just got a DS/3 Katalyst and it was a massive upgrade on the NDX for not a lot more money. It would have been a lot more expensive to add an XPS.

I sold my NDX to someone wishing to run it into a 272, once they plugged it in, they reported a big improvement.

I once spoke to my dealer about getting rid of my SN2 and NDX and buying a 272 and 250dr, they said I’d live to regret it as the pre amp in the 272 isn’t as good as the SN2 and the steamer/dac is no where near on par of the NDX, they said I’d be worst off, keep what I’ve got.

Over on the green forum, there’s lots that have added an XPS2-DR or a 555PS to their 272’s to upgrade them.

To be honest, you could sell the 272 and get a Linn Akurate DS or DSM, they seem really cheap at the moment. I’ve just got a DS/3 Katalyst and it was a massive upgrade on the NDX for not a lot more money. It would have been a lot more expensive to add an XPS.

I had a 272 with a Teddy Pardo XPS and have moved to a Linn Selekt DSM stereo Organik - having previously tried a Katalyst - which is also excellent. I’m using the MM stage for an LP12 with Adikt. To my ears the package sounds great. The phono stage is digital on the Linn And can be configured for both MM and moving coil.The 272 didn’t have an on board phono stage.

The new Naim 222 does have updated streaming capability and an all analogue phono pre amp stage but when I auditioned it the upgrade with the new 300 power supply made such a big improvement that it was considerably cheaper to buy the higher level Organik DAC equipped Linn.

It’s able to stream Hi Res such as Qobuz and internet streaming in general sounds way better than it did on the 272 - which was originally designed for local streaming from a NAS.

What were your thoughts , they are very reasonable now
I liked it, and enjoyed what it could do.

Although they’re probably a lot cheaper to pick up now, I think the platform is also a lot older, so if it were me I’d probably look elsewhere now.

That said, if it fits with what you’re looking for and you already have, say, a 250, a NAS and an XPS or equivalent it could work well.

advertisement

Back