advertisement

Naim IXO connection question

SteveG

pfm Member
Many many years ago I bought a 2nd hand IXO but never got around to using it, other than a quick test with a 110 on one side and a 140 on the other (which actually sounded pretty decent). I'd always meant to buy a 2nd 140 but didn't get around to it until recently.

The current system is a 32.5 with a dual-railed SNAPS and a 140. To use the IXO do I just switch the IXO to the connection that the 140 is currently on from the SNAPS, then have it feeding the two 140's with 4-pin SNAIC's? I do have a Flatcap as well although that's currently powering a CD3.5.

The IXO is great, had one for many years running Credos then SBLs.

If you currently have the preamp powered by just a SNAPS then yes, just connect the IXO to the output and then use two SNAICS to each amp.

CHE

Thanks both - that looks pretty straightforward then. Just need to remember where my spare NACA5 is!

Bit of a thread resurrection but quick (likely stupid) question.
I have an IXO and am not using it at the moment. I have a 102/140 at the moment - does anyone know whether I can use a 140 and then two monoblocks with an IXO - I presume not as not enough connections on the IXO unlike a (S)NAXO? The IXO has been converted by Avondale Audio to run horizontally if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any advice!

Kind regards,

Miles

I believe it is possible, but you will need a splitter cable to take, say the HF stereo output from the DIN on the IXO to two mono connections on the amps. These are not standard cables so diy or find somebody to make them for you. What powers the 102? Apologies for my ignorance, but if it is currently powered from the 140 then you need a new way to power the 102 too.

Thanks so much for quick reply! Yes the 102 is powered by a hicap so just need some speaker cable and another amp(s) to go active. Any thoughts who would be best for the cables ? Flashback ? Avondale Audio?

Many thanks again,

Miles

Sadly Dave at Flashback is no longer with us, or I would have suggested Flashback. I have never used Avondale so can't offer any advice there.

Les of Avondale will have rewired the two IXO 2 output sockets to be ch1/ch2 LF and ch1/ch2 HF (rather than ch1 HF/LF and ch2 HF/LF as standard). Regardless, the 240º DIN4 plugs should be wired as per normal, only one need conjoin the equivalent of 2 x SNAIC 4 at one end.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back