advertisement

Naim@higher Volume

A lame dealer excuse. Bad is bad.

No, an honest attempt to try to understand why a successful speaker manufacturer doesn't hit the spot for many in the UK. Bad is your subjective opinion, I don't like their balance either, but they are still making speakers decades on so a large enough number of people somewhere are willing part big sums for them, if they were really bad that would not be the case.

Think its the beryllium tweeter puts me off focal. For the price they ask id call them bad which is possibly what Mr Pig is saying. I know a guy who picked up some sopra 2. The laugh money new in NZ is around $30,000 NZD he picked them up for $10,000 as they had some cosmetic damage, seriously id be concerned paying $10,000 new. Naturally he loves them, who wouldn't when you pay leather wallet for silk purse even though its a leather wallet in reality. My opinion like anything a grain of salt.

It was my experience on that exact same system with 2x hicap dr focal sopra 2,cds3 DR xps and a high spec lp12 with DC motor PS all components had powerlines.Large room as well. Not doubting you (respect) just what i experience, another chap that was there commented a few days later how his ears were ringing afterwards. was a stage line K board with a (good) troika and Ekos. No distortion to hear of, was fine till things got loud just went all muddled and awful . Im a Naim fan boy and for the most part the sound is to my liking just when i like it loud they seem to lose it including my serviced 52/135 sl2 Naim blessed lp12 aro, Lyra Kleos SL blah blah
500 is a lot better but still pales in comparison to a class A beast.

Maybe the horrible sound when loud is a safety feature? Makes you feel uneasy so you turn it down, thus saving your hearing. A bit like the oversteer on Vauxhall cars.

I have no problems with naim amps and volume, none at all. I can and do hit high volume and the sound gets better with volume not worse, Perhaps your room needs some absorption ? Unless the amplifier is moving into distortion or speakers are showing distortion or compression why would high volumes be 'shouty' ?

I settled on 4 naim 135's running Sonus Faber Extremas as part of a home cinema system 10 years ago, I tried, an Usher R1.5 (Class A), Krell KSA 50, NAD M27, Arcam P7, P1's, Audio Research D125 to name a few. I dont have any distortion to high volume levels

Fully concur with the OP. Got a long way up the Naim ladder with an active speaker before selling the lot and starting again. Much happier now and listen to a broader spectrum of music than I ever would with the Naim, and for much longer periods of time too. All at proper volume!

advertisement

Back