advertisement

Naim Hi-line

philw307

Naim Hi-line are they really worth the outlay?

The reason why I ask is that I'm contemplating buying one for my CDX2 to connect to my NAC202.

My concern is that they are always being sold on Ebay and occaisionally on here.

I have a NAP200 and my NAC202 is flatcapped and has the NAPSC.

Would I be better off upgrading to a Hi-cap and which would give me the better improvement in performance?

And no I'm not buying a 282 or a 250..............not yet:D

Thanks

Phil

Sell the FlatCap, pop the new DR HiCap on the 202, and then you'll be saying something like Hot Damn!!

IME, similar to many other tweaks in that it depends upon the level of your system. Last time I tried one it was with a CDS3 through a 52/250 and the difference was night and day. Given what power supply upgrades, cartridge, tonearm upgrades etc. cost, it was pretty good value for the improvement that it gave and once it was fitted there was no way i would have wanted to take it off. Difficult to say in your system. As you imply though, easy to buy and try and sell on if it doesn't do that much.

Or if you are happy to try a non-naim psu, sell the flatcap and napsc buy the teddycap which provides both a highcap and napsc and you would still have money for the highline... I had a flatcap on my 202 and when I replaced it with the teddycap the SQ improved massively. The flatcap did not do enough for me. In fact the powerline that I bought at the same time as the flatcap added more than the flatcap did.

That beings me onto your cd2x- how is is it powered? If it is the standard naim plug then a powerline on it might be better than the highline. That is hat I found when I auditioned the powerline and highline together.

Mike - All the Naim kit is powered by a Grahams Hydra, did you really notice the difference in replacing a mains lead?

How much do the powerlines cost?

I'd sell the Flatcap immidiately and make room for a hicap but first just listen to CDX2 with your combo, maybe HC is too much revealing for a CDX based stand alone source, another option would be CDS3 s/h and downgrade amp to lower spec.
Chord make some interesting signal cables for smaller money allthough Hiline is good you need a listen for yourself, notice its very easy to crash connector.

AR Sound Lunar is another alternative to the Naim Hi Line. AR Sound do provide a trial period if you happens not to like the cable. I had both the Hi Line and the Lunar at the same time, and I kept the Lunar. If you really want to get the Hi Line, then you might want to look closely at the connecting rings mechanism of the Hi Line. If any or the rings break, it means the cables will spend weeks in repair. If you are not located in UK, then the effective repair period will be longer and you may also have to pay for the shipping fee.

I suggest selling the flatcap and napsc away, then get a TeddycapPlus to replace both of them.

Before moving to the 282, you might also want to add a txps to the cdx2. I had friends who had done it and it sound good.

IMHO a no-brainer. HiCap on 202. DR or not. Consider at a later stage a nDAC on the CDX2. Only then a HiLine and a XPS2 on the nDAC... Be careful with third parties PSUs and accessories. They may hit a home run at first after burn-in but might show a loss of cohesion and balance in the long run. Always validate options by listening to music that transports you preferably in your own system and environment. You got me... I am an adept. :cool:

There is no need to be careful if you are going for Avondale or Teddy PSU. They are established businesses with numerous people using their products. Many of these people even own a high end Naim system like a 252/300 or a 552/500 based system. You just need to search this forum and you will see numerous reviews on their PSU. There is close to no risk involved in trying as the manufacturers do offer a free trial period. If you have any concerns, just write to manufacturers and they will advice you accordingly. :)

Another vote for the Lunar. Excellent service from Avi and as I liked the standard cable so much I got him to make me a custom version, 1.3m long and with the locking collar removed from the DIN plug ( I went for the DIN / RCA version ). It really is an excellent sounding cable and well worth a try in your system. With the sale or return policy it really is a no brainer.

James

Naim Hi-line are they really worth the outlay?

The reason why I ask is that I'm contemplating buying one for my CDX2 to connect to my NAC202.

My concern is that they are always being sold on Ebay and occaisionally on here.

Thanks
Phil

Get yourself a Mogami interconnect, for a 6th of the price, much better value for money.
Speak to the Audio Counsel, they will make you one up.

I would go for the Hicap any day,should be able to get a recapped olive one for the same price as a highline.I also had a teddycap,but prefered the hicap..Put the flatcap on the bay quick before anyone looks inside one..:D

If I was in you position I would be looking to get a teddycap or avondale on the 202 asap. Then upgrade the cd, looking carefully at the Rega as well as the CDS range second hand.
The cables are not IMO the best way to move things on for you.
But enjoy finding out what works for you.

I have a Teddycap MK3 Plus used for my 282 which makes massive improvement. Definitely worth trying

advertisement

Back