advertisement

Naim Help

Bit of a generalisation, they play havoc with my alarm system. It was probably entirely coincidental re my nap 250 as it was probably a good 7 years since it was serviced.
A simple power cut is the same as pushing the off switch. However if the mains power oscillates i.e. off-on-off-on several times this will usually blow some fuses. The big danger and I've experienced this in Germany is if one of the three mains phases goes open circuit and you just happen to be on one of the remaining live phases. The voltage goes up blows your lights and anything else that is plugged in. I managed to pull the power leads from my Naim amps quickly enough but the fridge/freezer and other stuff blew.

Cheers,

DV

A simple power cut is the same as pushing the off switch. However if the mains power oscillates i.e. off-on-off-on several times this will usually blow some fuses. The big danger and I've experienced this in Germany is if one of the three mains phases goes open circuit and you just happen to be on one of the remaining live phases. The voltage goes up blows your lights and anything else that is plugged in. I managed to pull the power leads from my Naim amps quickly enough but the fridge/freezer and other stuff blew.

Cheers,

DV
I don't know the technical nature of the power cut but it did cut on & off in quite quick succession. Thankfully the amp is back from naim & sounds great; I did have a newer 250 on loan from my dealer & was worried it would suffer in comparison. Its been a while since I have heard such bass from my SBLs

Thank you everyone for your advice. Having carried out several of the suggested tests I have ascertained that it is in fact my tweeters that have blown. It seems the obvious answer now but when I posted on here I wasn't sure where to start, so thanks again to all. My dilemma now is should I replace the Allaes and if so with what? They have been good for the last few years but I am thinking maybe it is time to try something new. Any suggestions?

Allaes were quite expensive new and would probably cost a lot to improve on. If you can replace the tweeters they'll at least be worth something to offset cost of replacement. Quite often see 2nd hand SBLs for sale at reputable dealers, would a 140 be up to them?

Thank you everyone for your advice. Having carried out several of the suggested tests I have ascertained that it is in fact my tweeters that have blown. It seems the obvious answer now but when I posted on here I wasn't sure where to start, so thanks again to all. My dilemma now is should I replace the Allaes and if so with what? They have been good for the last few years but I am thinking maybe it is time to try something new. Any suggestions?

I would replace the tweeters and carry on using them, but.... you might want to get your amps checked as blown Allae tweeters are not the norm. The tweeters are expensive from Naim, but available from other outlets. They are Scanspeak D2008/8511 which are ferrofluid damped, but Naim match the pairs for the Allaes and add some extra damping to the back of them.

I would replace the tweeters and carry on using them, but.... you might want to get your amps checked as blown Allae tweeters are not the norm. The tweeters are expensive from Naim, but available from other outlets. They are Scanspeak D2008/8511 which are ferrofluid damped, but Naim match the pairs for the Allaes and add some extra damping to the back of them.

Nothing wrong with amp. It was turned up too loud, simple as that.

That’s a good point. The older Naim amps have quite specific requirements for their cables. Without going into the cables do/don’t sound different malarkey, I’d make sure you have some Naim NacA5, which is designed to work with the amplifier. The Allaes are fine speakers and it must be worth getting the tweeters replaced. Unless the volume was nearly at full it seems odd that the amplifier clipped and blew the tweeters, though this does seem to be the case.

That’s a good point. The older Naim amps have quite specific requirements for their cables. Without going into the cables do/don’t sound different malarkey, I’d make sure you have some Naim NacA5, which is designed to work with the amplifier. The Allaes are fine speakers and it must be worth getting the tweeters replaced. Unless the volume was nearly at full it seems odd that the amplifier clipped and blew the tweeters, though this does seem to be the case.
I am using Naim NacA5 cable. The volume was turned up quite high when this happened.

Given that, and the fact that the amp was serviced for years ago, it shouldn’t have gone unstable. It would be worth checking all the connections for reassurance, and then it’s a case of keeping the volume down a bit in future. If you are trying to get high volumes in a large room, a bigger power amp might be in order, but that means a power supply for the preamp, which leads to a better record player and so on. Tricky.

Well, I wouldn’t use SBLs with a Rega 3; you really want something a lot better. A Rega 3 with Allaes is pushing it already.

If the tweeters have popped then replace them as you will be hard pushed to find better speakers for the cost of the repair.

Previously owned a pair of Allaes for 13 years and have just returned to a pair after a 2 year break, love what they do and they sound fantastic on the end of my 272/555DR/250DR using WH Phantom cable.

Allaes are a steal if you can find a pair on the used market, picked up my second pair (one of the last pair made) for just £500 in mint condition. Before the Allaes I tried the Proac D20R but the the D20s created too much boom on certain tracks and had to go, the Allaes just work and look great.

Well, I wouldn’t use SBLs with a Rega 3; you really want something a lot better. A Rega 3 with Allaes is pushing it already.

Of course he can use a Rega 3 with SBL's

Why would he pushed to want something a lot better
Sure things can be bettered, everything can
Perhaps he just want to listen to music not caring that much for stiff hiearchy
Pushing ! - its silly even mentioning

Leave the preeching snobbery, cable lifters and endless upgrades elsewhere

Of course he can use a Rega 3 with SBL's

Why would he pushed to want something a lot better
Sure things can be bettered, everything can
Perhaps he just want to listen to music not caring that much for stiff hiearchy
Pushing ! - its silly even mentioning

Leave the preeching snobbery, cable lifters and endless upgrades elsewhere

Calm down, he was only offering his opinion. It's not preaching or snobbery, it's just some advice.

Sorry Olsen, that’s crap. Yes I’m a Naim owner, and yes I used to post on the Naim Forum, but suggesting that a Rega 3 and SBLs are not ideal is nothing to do with snobbery. Setting up a well balanced system is just common sense. I’m perfectly at liberty to give advice based on my experience, and without aggression from you, thank you very much.

advertisement

Back