advertisement

Naim DAC-V1 with Naim Pwr Amp

Njb

pfm Member
Hi,

Naim talks about using the DAC V1 with the NAP100. Has anybody tried it with other pwr amps in their range. I have a NAP 150x and am interested to know how the V1 fairs in terms of pre amp quality.

My friend tried it with NAP140. According to him, although it was a working combo, NAC 72 is far superior to DAC V-1's preamp section. Original plan was to eliminate the 72, but it did not work in terms of the sound quality.

I've got the NAP100 with the DAC-V1 as a pre-amp, and a pair of B&W CM10's - so long as you're using high quality music files, it's definitely a recommendable set-up.

I currently have a Dac v1 and Nap100, when I first had it I used it with a Nap200 power and then bought a Nac202 preamp. I did some comparisons between the v1 as preamp and the Nac202 and although the 202 was better, for me it wasn't a £1900 improvement (the approximate new cost of the Nac202).

I subsequently changed to a Nap100 as I moved listening rooms and required the smaller case size to fit on a desk.

I had the V1 and a Naim XS-2, and tried both using the V1 as a preamp and the XS as power amp, vs. the V1 as only DAC and the XS as full integrated. And I actually preferred the former—the V1 as preamp sounded better to me.

I'm using a V1 into my Avondale/HackerNAP amp in a second system, and very good it is too. I've also used the V1 into an old NAP150 (when I've blown up my HackerNAP...), and that's pretty fine as well.

The V1's an excellent combined DAC/preamp, and is a lovely little thing.

Interesting stuff, although at the mo only using my V1 as a second 'system' as mac n headphones, but it sure is one of the Naim sweet spot products.

advertisement

Back