advertisement

Naim CDX vs CDX2 (2005 model ) buying help please .

Not sure its helpfull as I notice many seem to like the transport and DAC beeing seperates, which I dont.

I clearly preferred a single player, for example a Naim or Rega of the agenda here.
I've tried 3 or 4 transports, amo a Roksan, Cambridge, Rega (used as transport only)
Found out I preferred single players, nothing wrong with the players, just not for me.
I mainly used Chord, Naim and Rega DACs but soon left it again, with no intention to proceed.

Thanks. It's interesting for many reasons, including that I will presumably need a replacement for my CDS2 one day.

My first foray into this was getting a Core, onto which I ripped all my CDs as a way to transport their content to Tasmania. While it was here, we compared my 2-box CDS2 to CDs ripped onto the Core and then played back via NDX2/XPSDR. None of us could consistently pick which we were hearing, never mind maintain a preference. Comparing the rip or the CD to streams from Tidal/ Qobuz mainly showed that some digital versions are better than others.

By contrast, using the NDX2 as a DAC in this way but without the XPSDR to power it led to a pretty consistent preference for playing CDs directly in the CDS2. I concluded from that that all the comments here about how NDX2 (or nDAC) needed a better PS for its DAC to deliver its potential were completely true.

For now, I assume that getting another Core and and doing some more ripping will give the system in Wimbledon CD replay at least as good as I currently have from the CDS2, if a tad less user-friendly. If that is beaten by a CD Transport feeding the NDX2, I'll get one.

How are other people expecting to deal with the demise of current CD payers?

I've an old 1999 CDX which runs through a Teddy XPS . It's fine . I've seen a 2005 CDX2 at a good price ( original owner ) , but it's 150 miles round trip away . Is the CDX2 worth buying ? Is it sonically better and is the laser/transport the next generation after my CDX ?

Many thanks :)

There was a thread on the other forum which explained the various used mechs in these players.

My technician did find a Chinese copy replacement mech for my old CDX 5-6 years ago, but he was reluctant with long term durability.
I never found out as item was sold on shortly thereafter.

Curious what "a good price" is ?

How are other people expecting to deal with the demise of current CD payers?

I have 4 players dotted around various systems, a Rega Isis, Linn Ikemi, Naim CD5X and a Naim CD5iS. The former was bought for my main system and partly chosen because Rega intend to support it for many years. The others I am not going to worry about., The CD5X cost me £500 in 2017 and gets absolutely hammered at the moment as I am renovating my house and hence it is in use in my temporary system pretty much whenever I am not building. If it dies tomorrow I will try and repair it, but if it can't be repaired it doesn't owe me anything - less than £100 a year for great sound and I will get something for it spares or repair. The other two are in the same boat really... just not going to worry about it. There will always be players out there (well for the rest of my life anyway) and I will just buy another one. Remember an awful lot of players get little use and will last for a lot longer than my CD5X will, but even players that are used a lot seem to keep going in many cases. I sold my CD2 I bought new in the late 90s in 2018 and I heard from the buyer recently... it is still going strong and I played a huge amount of CDs on that machine.

There was a thread on the other forum which explained the various used mechs in these players.

My technician did find a Chinese copy replacement mech for my old CDX 5-6 years ago, but he was reluctant with long term durability.
I never found out as item was sold on shortly thereafter.

Curious what "a good price" is ?
400 Quid

get a CD5si if you ant to stick with NAIM.

I believe its their only current CD player in range - I'd not expect a new classic CD player..
Once it was their entry level player to match Nait 5i amp, CD5i and italic i - sounded similar.
Priced now way out of its class, a CDX or CDX2 wipes it, a Rega would be my choice.

Good morning gentlemen . I went with the CDX2 . Does it sound any better ? Well , it's different , but I don't know why .
Running it with the Teddy Pardo as previously equipped . The CDX2 puck grips like a gorilla . Has ring magnet and plastic contacts
versus the other's rubber rings and magnetic spikes . Thankyou all for your replies to my thread . Most appreciated information !
PFM rules the ethernet :)

I’d keep the CDX and save that £400. Marginal at best and not necessarily in a way that you’d appreciate. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it approach.

My policy on forums is not to advise people to do something opposite to what they have just done. Before the event I say whatever I think. You and Mozart can do as you please.

My policy on forums is not to advise people to do something opposite to what they have just done. Before the event I say whatever I think. You and Mozart can do as you please.

Agreed, but tis the way on pfm these days sadly. The good thing is even if he decides he doesn't like the CDX2 he can sell it for more than he paid for it, but I suspect after a period of extended listening he'll warm to its charms.

advertisement

Back