advertisement

Naim CDs 3 CD Jumping issues, Repair

FMAV Repairs

Good day,
Wondering if anyone can throw some light onto this as it seems to be a common issue, I've had a repair come into me CDs3 , the fault was its
not reading any disks, it has already been to some type of repair shop at some stage in its life, on inspection its had a used laser put in
the type this been re fixed not sure when this was put in of if this part has ever worked, I replaced the laser with a new one, still dead then
Replaced the vau 1250 part with a new laser, now I have signs of life, it plays but jumps and the count up monitor jumps up and a few seconds, So
I though ok maybe a bad laser so replaced it again and another mech same thing, I tried the mech and laser on another machine that takes
that part no problems fully working on both parts? So its nothing to do with the mech or Puk they are working fine I'm scratching my head, any tech
heads out there give any insight? from what Ive read, this is a common fault with this unit and people prefer the 1205 part than the newer 1250 vau
I did try a 1205 as well but no deal, as Im guessing the software and TDA chipset are different, I have loads of part as this is all I do is repair VAU parts
for Philips systems, just a little stuck with this, as I really do not think it is a laser or mech issue but something more.
Regards
Mark

Simply swapping transports is no guarantee that your player will be functional. The guy who redid my CDS3 replaced a transport in another CDS3 some time ago with a genuine NOS VAM1250. It refused to play without being adjusted first with an oscilloscope to get the best eye pattern.
Once so done, it was fine.

Simply swapping transports is no guarantee that your player will be functional. The guy who redid my CDS3 replaced a transport in another CDS3 some time ago with a genuine NOS VAM1250. It refused to play without being adjusted first with an oscilloscope to get the best eye pattern.
Once so done, it was fine.
All my parts are original Philips, and 25 years of just doing VAU repairs I've never used a scope to line up a CD, they are just standard philips TDA chip sets nothing special.

advertisement

Back