advertisement

Naim CDi

westsea

Retirement present
My first new thread post, be kind!

My old CDi has stopped reading discs, and I am thinking of having it serviced.

Witch Hat servicing will do this (new caps, laser, Digital out) for about £300, their approach seemed professional and helpful, anyone had good experience with them?
More controversially, does it make sense to have it restored, for what are basically emotional reasons? - I like it and think it sounds better than the Audiolab CDQ

System: small computer, media monkey, audiolab 8200CDQ, Naim CDi, second hand atc100 active amps, homemade atc 100's

I love the CDi, Mark at Witch Hat did a great job fitting a new laser head and service to mine.

Highly recommended.

And yes, the CDi is a very special sounding player.

I love the CDi, Mark at Witch Hat did a great job fitting a new laser head and service to mine.

Highly recommended.

And yes, the CDi is a very special sounding player.
Many thanks - just what I needed.

Westsea, newbie here, so please be kind!

Witch Hat recently repaired and serviced my CD2. The DAC was faulty (crackling sound). Mark replaced the DAC and fully serviced, which included 42 new capacitors and a 2 day bench test to ensure all was 100%. The result is a fabulous player given a new lease of life, for a very sensible and reasonable cost. Goodness knows what Naim would have charged if they had taken on the job. Definitely worth giving your CDi some TLC and no hesitation in recommending Witch Hat for the job.

Regards, Ponty

Ponty, I might be wrong but I don't think Naim repair/service the CD2, CD2 or CDI any more its good to see that Witch Hat do

I think you are probably right HiFiman when it comes to general servicing / lasers etc. I was told on good authority that DAC issues would need to be looked at by Salisbury. Not wishing to explore this route for fear of being uneconomic to repair, I contacted Witch Hat who came up trumps. It's great that owners of these superb older players can keep them running sweetly at sensible cost. Mine is now sounding better than ever.

You won't find a better CD player for £300 and Witch Hat do a great job. So, go ahead and have it repaired.

It's a very nice player and witch hat are very well regarded. It is well worth £300 to keep it alive IMI, I'd go for it.

Thank you all,
I will now find the original box and try get it away in the next couple of weeks. As it has been out of serious use for the past couple of years the prospect is quite exciting :-

Send it straight to Mark. Witch Hat are superb.

They are very special players and you should definitely spend the money and bring it back to life.

You will then enjoy it for years to come.

Class A servicing put a new laser in my CD5X for £180. Job well done. No worries.

Do make sure you have the two transport bolts fitted before shipping, they are essential for safe transit.

If you don't have them give Mark at Witch Hat a call, he most likley has spare bolts he can send you.

It really is a damn fine CD player.

Thanks for the reminder, found them after a quick look, will ensure they are fitted before shipping.

I think the best it ever sounded was through an AVI preamp with its stepped volume control, it was a bit 'clunky' as fine tuning the low volumes wasn't easy, hence the Audiolab CDQ, it is probably time to have a review of the system performance, something I have neglected for the last few years, while playing around with flac files and 'jukeboxes' on hard discs. Taking a listen to flac files against the resurrected CD! and the built in CDQ will keep me occupied for a week or so!

I've had my Quad CD66 repaired by Witch Hat and I'm very pleased with the results. Repaired for sentimental reasons, but well worth the effort, in my opinion.

I once owned a CDi and what a fabulous player it was. I found mine actually worked better with a Puck5 rather than the original "top hat" puck.

If Witch Hat can service and repair the OP's CDi then more power to them and the OP.

The clamp 5 puck does indeed work very well and does a better job of gripping the CD and reduces slippage; you can also get a brand new one for less than a tenner, silly not to really.

advertisement

Back