advertisement

Naim CD3.5 v Modern alternative

Lee T

pfm Member
My question is this, will a modern alternative sound better (more musical & entertaining are my description) than a Naim cd3.5 second hand at around £300 or just below, the modern alternative can also be second hand.

I currently own a Rega Apollo cd player (just under £500 new), will this player outperform a 3.5 from the late 90's (around £1100 new I believe) or have things not moved on that much.

I wouldn't buy a CD3.5 now - for one thing I understand that the transport is no longer available if it breaks (and they are known to fail sometimes).

What are you looking to improve on the Apollo ? If you're of a mind to change something, an external DAC is probably more sensible than spending money on disc-spinning hardware, and would be useable with other sources as well.

The CD 3.5 was/is a good player, the CD 5I a bit better, however I directly compared a CD 5I against the original full width Apollo a few years ago and found the Apollo to be the better player, IMO of course.

I wouldn't buy a CD3.5 now - for one thing I understand that the transport is no longer available if it breaks (and they are known to fail sometimes).

What are you looking to improve on the Apollo ? If you're of a mind to change something, an external DAC is probably more sensible than spending money on disc-spinning hardware, and would be useable with other sources as well.
The mechanism is still available for the 3.5 but not the 3

I was looking for a little more punch & excitement at lower volumes as I rarely play my music loud due to neighbours, I have a brio 3 amp also & RS1 speakers, the sound is lively but rather sweet & smooth. I was thinking of adding the nait 3 if I were happy with the 3.5, I know the nait 3 isn't very liked on this site but I have heard one & thought this may be what's missing as it sounded much more direct & exciting than the brio 3, the 3.5 seemed to be a good match.

I'm not a listener of smooth laid back sounds such as jazz or classical, rock, alternative, indie & dance are more my bag.

The CD 3.5 was/is a good player, the CD 5I a bit better, however I directly compared a CD 5I against the original full width Apollo a few years ago and found the Apollo to be the better player, IMO of course.
Interesting, in what area did it sound better, the one area of the apollo I like is the bass, it is very tight & tuneful, I'm beginning to think maybe it's the speakers, I have seen a pair of neat motive 3 for sale & read very good things but are these a little out of the rega's league. They would work in my small room but have no idea at what prices these sell nowadays.

The mechanism is still available for the 3.5 but not the 3

I was looking for a little more punch & excitement at lower volumes as I rarely play my music loud due to neighbours, I have a brio 3 amp also & RS1 speakers, the sound is lively but rather sweet & smooth. I was thinking of adding the nait 3 if I were happy with the 3.5, I know the nait 3 isn't very liked on this site but I have heard one & thought this may be what's missing as it sounded much more direct & exciting than the brio 3, the 3.5 seemed to be a good match.

I'm not a listener of smooth laid back sounds such as jazz or classical, rock, alternative, indie & dance are more my bag.

The 3.5 is a lively little player, very good fun and an exiting listen, might be just the thing for you and perfect with a Nait 3. You could also pop a flat cap on the 3.5.

Naim in general is a more exciting listen than Rega IMO.

The brio 3 and even more so the Mira 3 very much fits the description of smooth and sweet, I'd be inclined to say the nait is more likely to give you the added excitement you are looking for, it will also have good synergy with the cd3.5 but then so will the Apollo.

If you can afford to get both the CD 3.5 and the Nait 3 whilst holding onto your rega kit then I would, you could then spend some time making your mind up. The value of these items is pretty stable meaning you can move them on with little or no loss if they are not to your liking.

Interesting, in what area did it sound better, the one area of the apollo I like is the bass, it is very tight & tuneful, I'm beginning to think maybe it's the speakers, I have seen a pair of neat motive 3 for sale & read very good things but are these a little out of the rega's league. They would work in my small room but have no idea at what prices these sell nowadays.

I found the Apollo more smooth and open, just a little more refined. It does lack a little drive compared to the naim players but not enough to concern me.

Naim olive and black CDPs all sound very different.
Non sound like Rega CDPs.
I wouldn't buy a 3.5 now or any CDP for that matter.
If you like what your Apollo does?Stay with it.
I bought a Apollo R when it was released just to have a CDP/transport in the home for family and friends to use when a CD needs to be played.
Its a little giant killer for the money.

Is £300 not a bit steep for a player this old, especially considering the general move away from CD?

My instinct would be to try an amp change first, you may get all you desire with that alone.

SJB

If you can stretch more, check out the CD5si.

Very musical sounding CD Player with punch!

S.
Bit too expensive for my needs though I imagine it would sound great.

Just did a bit of swapping around with a surprising result.

I own 3 systems in all in different rooms, rega, arcam & rotel. all at the budget level

Thought I would compare the Rotel RCD-02 cd with the Rega, very different sounding players with the Rotel sounding much brighter & attacking than the Rega, wasn't expecting it to be honest, sounds much punchier with the rega majoring on focus but no more detailed than the rotel, I actually think I prefer the rotel, next up comparing the Rotel RA-02 amp with the brio 3. Be tomorrow now but looking forward to it.

Naim CD3.5 ? I've got two of them. Both made in 1998 and still on their original transports. One of them however is modified and has stopped any yearning for upgrading.

S/h Mac and a DAC

A big improvement on my CDX!

Which was a big improvement on my CD 3.5

Which DAC are you using?

There are many, many out there and a good number of them wouldn't come within a country mile of a CD3.5 let alone a CDX!

By the same token, there are many which can trounce a CDX :)

I have had CD5, CD5i (not italic), CDX2 three times (my present player), with and without external PSU.
I now have a CD3.5 as a second player, consequence of a goods swap with a friend fellow PFMer, and I must say that the 3.5 is one of the most musical and engaging CDP I have heard.
It is not worse than a CDX2/XPS2 in pure musical terms, has detail, is lively and has some depth of image. I would definitely buy one, if I had a good bargain. Very recommended.

After playing around again with a Hugo yesterday, this time with my UnitiQute instead of my Mac Mini like last time, all i can say is i was glad to put the CD5 back on, Hugo gave me a headache!

advertisement

Back