advertisement

Naim cd 3.5 query

rvw67

pfm Member
I recently picked up the above cd player and i have a issue with that someone may may be able to help me with. The player reads disc with no problem and plays, but sometimes i will get a split second mistracking but will keep playing and other times a disc will play for a while and and maybe 3-4 tracks in it will just stop playing and go back to the table of contents and tell me how many tracks on disc. I never get an error message and i have turned the player on and held play and get 0 disc errors. I tried different pucks, cleaned laser lens etc….
Thanks,john

has the platter slipped down on the mech? does it only do it on certain cd's as they maybe a bit thin?.

Oh no not another Puck(in) Naim player issue.
I've also experienced the laser not being able to progress fully along its track due to dry grease .It's like it hits the buffers then returns to start .

Oh no not another Puck(in) Naim player issue.
I've also experienced the laser not being able to progress fully along its track due to dry grease .It's like it hits the buffers then returns to start .
Thats what I thought it might be… don’t know if i should mess with it, and not sure what would be the correct grease?

Don't - just clean the worm drive screw and rail with alcohol and Q-tip, end to end. This will require you at least take teh bootom off teh drawer mechanism - it is just lego: take your time, take photo notes with your phone, no hurry - you can do it.

No new grease required - if you must, use a thin silicone grease: but honestly - it is not required.

Easy way to check the puck thing first, is to use a couple of bits of ripped from a Sticky on the CD, but under the puck, to check its not slipping on a 'thin' cd.

But my feeling having been through all this, is
  • Clean the traverse rail etc as above, first.
  • Also - clean & rotate the three tiny rubber rings on the underside of the puck, with alcohol - in case these are slipping.

It will be something very simple, usu mechanical, that is impeding a clean playback, when the player works so well otherwise. :D

Last edited:
Don't - just clean the worm drive screw and rail with alcohol and Q-tip, end to end. This will require you at least take teh bootom off teh drawer mechanism - it is just lego: take your time, take photo notes with your phone, no hurry - you can do it.

No new grease required - if you must, use a thin silicone grease: but honestly - it is not required.

Easy way to check the puck thing first, is to use a couple of bits of ripped from a Sticky on the CD, but under the puck, to check its not slipping on a 'thin' cd.

But my feeling having been through all this, is
  • Clean the traverse rail etc as above, first.
  • Also - clean & rotate the three tiny rubber rings on the underside of the puck, with alcohol - in case these are slipping.

It will be something very simple, usu mechanical, that is impeding a clean playback, when teh palyer works so well otherwise. :D
Thanks… will do when i get the opportunity and report back

Easiest target is to clean & rotate the tiny rubber rings on the puck, first. Will take you 5mins - tweezers + windowlene / alcohol / whatever you have to hand.

advertisement

Back