advertisement

Naim Audio DBL loudspeakers. Any review

I’m sure you are absolutely right Tony.

I bought a new pair of later SBL’s from Audio T in Brighton, had them set up properly in my house by Julian. They were the biggest audio disappointment ever for me as I’d heard them sounding amazing in other peoples houses and with very similar setups (decent LP12’s/Naim amps). Just simply didn’t work in my room so their tenure was short-lived.

I’d also love to hear your DBL’s sometime, we might actually meet one of these days!
Always welcome old boy! :)

I bought a new pair of later SBL’s from Audio T in Brighton, had them set up properly in my house by Julian. They were the biggest audio disappointment ever for me as I’d heard them sounding amazing in other peoples houses and with very similar setups (decent LP12’s/Naim amps). Just simply didn’t work in my room so their tenure was short-lived.

I’d also love to hear your DBL’s sometime, we might actually meet one of these days!

Thats great service if the CEO and founder of the company comes around to your house to set up the speakers!

I remember hearing them at a dealer's many years ago. I was very excited to see them, but I didn't like the sound at all, I thought they sounded like a PA.

All academic now. Mrs Hammeredklavier wouldn't allow them in the house and I couldn't afford them anyway!

Never really got on with Naim speakers despite having their black boxes for many years (driving active Sara's).
After I moved on I heard active DBLs's driven by 3 x 500's. Exactly like a big PA and definitely not for me.

Funny folk should mention the criticism “They sound just like a big PA”. Wasn't it Hi-Fi News that came up with that one way back when? :D

I had Nexus speakers in my yoof, with the right amp, they rocked! In fact I chose them over ES14’s at the time.
Maybe it was the amp I had then (Musical Fidelity A-100) but the Nexus sounded decidedly snoozeworthy even with an LP12 at the front. I didn't much rate ES14s either. That was around the time I realised I did not like the sound of bass reflex loudspeakers.

Funny folk should mention the criticism “They sound just like a big PA”. Wasn't it Hi-Fi News that came up with that one way back when?

Is it always a criticism? I've often described my system as sounding like a very good PA, because that's the kind of sound I want. It's a little less like that these days but the point is that we all have different tastes and are looking for different things.

Maybe it was the amp I had then (Musical Fidelity A-100) but the Nexus sounded decidedly snoozeworthy even with an LP12 at the front.

That whole series of speakers were boring as heck. There was zero continuity, even the designer was a different guy and they bore no sonic resemblance to the previews speakers. OK, the Tukans could sound decent but still not as good as the Kans. Just a lot easier to deal with.

Maybe it was the amp I had then (Musical Fidelity A-100) but the Nexus sounded decidedly snoozeworthy even with an LP12 at the front. I didn't much rate ES14s either. That was around the time I realised I did not like the sound of bass reflex loudspeakers.

Ion Obelisk 3x/Xpak1. Should have kept that amp!

My ‘spare’ speakers are ES14’s, in the right system/room, they are amazing.

Thats great service if the CEO and founder of the company comes around to your house to set up the speakers!

Lol - different Julian. Although I did meet Paul Stephenson one day as he popped into a dealers I was helping out at when the owner was on holiday. Nice chap.

Is it always a criticism? I've often described my system as sounding like a very good PA,
Forgive me, it was just my cynical old self thinking people were trotting out something they'd read, rather than their own experience. Silly of me I know… Anyway, I'm not sure what a PA sounds like. Are they all the same? Even the great big ones vs. the tiny little ones?

Forgive me, it was just my cynical old self thinking people were trotting out something they'd read, rather than their own experience. Silly of me I know… Anyway, I'm not sure what a PA sounds like. Are they all the same? Even the great big ones vs. the tiny little ones?
I think it means the sound is sort of hard, loud, and shouty. Lacking refinement.

Maybe to some degree psychological, given the DBL's appearance! :D

Exactly. A good PA sounds great and a poor one can be the worst thing you've ever heard in your life. For some reason, most of them can't get the bass right at all.
You must have been one of the poor souls at the local church fete's “Most hideous dog” competition.

Actually Garyi mentioned them early in the thread, and in fact I'm also running an active pair.

Under 200 pairs were ever made, which I find astonishing given how good they are. They were £7500 compared with £5000 for SL2's.

The SL2's were hugely overpriced and not to many peoples taste (particularly if you previously had SBL's) since they just have no bass at all. Even so they outsold NBL's.

I really don't know where Naim and the dealers went wrong with the NBL's. Mind you if I could make my living room just a couple or three feet wider I'd be inclined to try out some DBL's. I just don't really have the space.

Interesting. I had SBLs when a pair of ex-demo NBLs became available for such a great price I jumped having never heard them.

For me a big mistake. They did not work in the room we had at that time probably because the left speaker was only around 2 foot from the end wall (though opening to a bay window and firing across a 6x4m appx room). Bass boom was horrendous and it all sounded a buggers muddle.

Fortunately I managed to trade them in for what they’d cost me - and got some SL2s. No lack of bass, I’d simply describe them as grown-up SBLs. SL2s remain a pair of speakers I still hold in high regard.

With that said, if your NBLs work for you in your room, then excellent!

Only time I heard DBL’s was at the Bristol HiFi Show probably about 20 years ago, on the end of a full, top of the range at the time, Naim set up. Pretty sure some Paul Weller was playing. Certainly gave the impression of being in the studio or on stage, quite impressive but ultimately fatiguing, as was so often the case when I’ve listened to Naim gear.
Referring to SBL’s, they were often in competition with the similarly priced Linn Kabers, which I preferred and still use to this day with Linn amplification.
My dealer back then, Audio Excellence in Gloucester, called the Naim speakers Ibbles, Sybils, Nibbles and Dibbles :)

Funny old world as in my view Kabers were absolutely dreadful and truly appalling compared to SBL’s. We always joked about tossing them away.

Reactions: MJS
Only time I heard DBL’s was at the Bristol HiFi Show probably about 20 years ago, on the end of a full, top of the range at the time, Naim set up. Pretty sure some Paul Weller was playing. Certainly gave the impression of being in the studio or on stage, quite impressive but ultimately fatiguing, as was so often the case when I’ve listened to Naim gear.
More like 30, around 1992 I reckon. I was in the room when Mr Vereker was operating the Naim-up LP12 with the six-pack. Played Stevie Ray Vaughan, sounded crystal. It wasn't the bass that impressed, just the clarity of individual parts. The DBLs raised a lot of eyebrows at the show.

As an aside, and a bit of fun, I understand that the nickname for these was the FBL at the factory.
I'll leave you to guess what the acronym is.

We used to Lovingly call the IBL the "Infinitely Boring Loudspeaker". Mainly because of the lack of grunt, but at low volumes they were very nice & tuneful.

That's my experience too, set up a dozen or so SBL's back in the day and they were very room dependent IMO, some sounded fantastic while others were disappointing, in fact they didn't even work all that great in the single dem room at our shop at the time..

Last edited:

advertisement

Back