advertisement

Naim Aro "So expensive now"

I have seen them advertised for £1200 and £1695 both classed as mint

suppose it depends on age.

when did naim stop making them ?

For anyone genuinely interested in buying an aro , there is an LP12 , Lingo and aro in "excellent condition" in the back of HFC for £1k.

Tony

like I said, parasites.

Presumably you grow all your own food and raise your own livestock? It never ceases to amaze me just how many people on this site seem to begrudge others making a living.

WRT the Aro do Naim still make them? If not that would partly explain them going up in value on the secondhand market. Not just the Aro though, LP 12's and Linn arms have also been going up on the secondhand market over the last few years. I suspect that this is because of a combination of the upsurge in interest in vinyl (as another poster has pointed out) and the fact that Linn turntable elements, and the Aro to a lesser extent, were undervalued 10 years ago as many who had them rushed to CDs and were selling them off.

....I love the comment near the beginning..... a thousand pounds may ''Seem'' to be a lot !!!

For me, there's an implication that mind tricks have been involved... hmmm sneaky sneaky.

Lol, it seems a lot, because it is a lot.

A thousand pounds is a LOT. Unless you are Richard Branson?

$300 blue note U-3 unipivot. 1000 pounds, 300 dollars. That 800 pounds or so difference you know is 'bling' money. (status, jewellery, etcetera).

Lol, it seems a lot, because it is a lot.

A thousand pounds is a LOT. Unless you are Richard Branson?

£1000 is peanuts in the world of mid to high-end audio, which arms like the Aro inhabit. How many arms, decks and cartridges are there over that figure? dozens and dozens. And that's only vinyl front ends, with a ph/stage as a necessary addition at that level.

The Aro wasn't a cheap arm (as nothing made by Naim is 'cheap'), and (I'm guessing now) was nudging or over the £2K mark when discontinued, so circa £1000 doesn't seem daft. A Five, now at £2,400, can be bought for £1K to £1.5K or so. Again, reasonable value. These things have more than doubled in price in the last decade and a half, and (excluding inflation), have ostensibly seen little depreciation; can't be bad, surely?

The Aro is an excellent arm, well worth the cash, and actually priced fairly low in the arena of top end tonearms. The Aro is a top end tonearm.

I will pick up my second one when I can find it..

My ARO cost less than the Ekos when I bought one new a few years ago. Is the Ekos now cheaper than ARO?

Just curious.

Presumably you grow all your own food and raise your own livestock? It never ceases to amaze me just how many people on this site seem to begrudge others making a living.

No I buy them all from shops, retailers who have commercial premises and pay their tax, not some arsehole on ebay hoping the tax man doesn't notice him.

The taxman keeps a VERY keen eye on ebay. Those that don't pay tax when appropriate will find themselves in a whole heap of trouble. It is pretty easy looking at the ebay adverts to assess who are the chancers. VAT registration is a simple giveaway that they are more likely to be a legitimate business. Interestingly I spoke to the most respected LP12 dealer on the planet. They said if they were not locked into a lease then they would not have a shop.

CJ

Mescalito "Why parasites? Absolutely nothing wrong with what you describe. That's how every shopkeeper in the world makes a living."

sq225917 "like I said, parasites. "

Me "Presumably you grow all your own food and raise your own livestock? It never ceases to amaze me just how many people on this site seem to begrudge others making a living."

No I buy them all from shops, retailers who have commercial premises and pay their tax, not some arsehole on ebay hoping the tax man doesn't notice him.

Mescalito "Why parasites? Absolutely nothing wrong with what you describe. That's how every shopkeeper in the world makes a living."

sq225917 "like I said, parasites. "

Me "Presumably you grow all your own food and raise your own livestock? It never ceases to amaze me just how many people on this site seem to begrudge others making a living."

Am I the only one puzzled :confused:

I like most Naim products but have never particularly liked the Aro.
Therefore I always see used examples as too expensive.
I think the Ekos is a better arm, as was the Ittok before it when used on the LP12.

There was real synergy between the Linn arms and LP12 back in the day. I've no experience of a recent deck though which I imagine changes things a fair bit given the design changes.

I think the Ekos is a better arm, as was the Ittok before it when used on the LP12.

It is interesting that people have such different views; I have owned all three (currently the Aro), and my preference by some margin, is the Aro.

The new model for high-end dealers is to go to your customer's house. You can have a modest demo room in your own house. Many dealers have said that they have very little 'foot' traffic these days.

advertisement

Back