advertisement

Naim Aro -jiggling anti skate weight

You've been naimed!
Yes, same profile everywhere. It’s the unrelenting belief that Naim is always best that got me down a bit. I like Naim (I’m so old, I bought my first Naim kit after a demo from Julian at a dealers in Brighton - Jeffrey’s?), but there not always the best option and other manufacturers do exist and might know a bit too.

Yes, same profile everywhere. It’s the unrelenting belief that Naim is always best that got me down a bit. I like Naim (I’m so old, I bought my first Naim kit after a demo from Julian at a dealers in Brighton - Jeffrey’s?), but there not always the best option and other manufacturers do exist and might know a bit too.
Yes, I still enjoy a number of Naim bits here, myself. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s the unrelenting belief that Naim is always best that got me down a bit. a bit too.

Yes, but then again, it's a manufacturer's site, so it's bound to be that way. I pop in now and again for a quick took.

Is there any truth to the suggestion that LP12 belt life is extended by removing it when the deck is not in use? It seems to me that if the belt is left in one orientation for a while it might possibly show a bit of memory. I wonder if that is the reason belt replacement is a standard part of a service. A belt with a 0.9Hz stretchy spot could produce a 1.8Hz harmonic.

A belt with a 0.9Hz stretchy spot could produce a 1.8Hz harmonic.

I can't picture in my head what a 0.9Hz stretchy spot is tbh, unless you are saying that a portion of the belt may be stretched more than the rest of it? In that case, surely just turning the turntable on for a few seconds now and again would be better; in fact, that might not be a bad idea.

I can't picture in my head what a 0.9Hz stretchy spot is tbh, unless you are saying that a portion of the belt may be stretched more than the rest of it? In that case, surely just turning the turntable on for a few seconds now and again would be better; in fact, that might not be a bad idea.

Sorry, I meant .55 Hz, i.e. a period of 1.8s. If there were a region of your belt that had a higher Young's modulus than the rest of the belt, you would probably get periodic speed change contributions to the overall platter speed. With a rubber belt which sits for days with a different curvature on the section that happens to be around the capstan, it seems possible that some parts of the belt might present as more or less stretchy than others. A better belt which has less memory could be an improvement.

advertisement

Back