advertisement

Naim and Avondale PSU connections

cchean

pfm Member
Pardon my ignorance, but got me an Avondale SPX power supply which has two locking DIN females on the back, a 4-pin and a 5-pin. The 5-pin is the 240° locking type and I believe should be connected to the preamp's (NAC72) last DIN to the right.

What is the 4-pin used for then? I was searching on the forum if there was any thread discussing all different naim cables and connectors, if there is such a tutorial, could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the SPX which I believe was an early Avondale power supply. It would be helpful if you could take some internal photos with close-ups of the wiring to the sockets.

For completeness, the diagram below shows the difference between Naim and Avondale methods of connecting the later TPX power supply. Note that the Naim method uses standard Naim SNAICs whilst the Avondale method uses different cables. A five-pin cable, with only three wires carrying +24v, +24V and Earth/Ground from the TPX to the preamp and a four-pin cable, with only three wires carrying the left and right signals and earth/ground from the preamp to the power amp.

advertisement

Back