advertisement

Naim Amps On Finite Elemente Spider Rack

ryder

pfm Member
An update to the thread below which was closed.

Rack Alternatives For Naim Amps Other Than Fraim
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=85972

I just finished installing a Finite Elemente rack 2 days ago and had been doing some extensive listening sessions for the past few days. I know this may have been repeated many times. To cut a long story short, please get a *proper* rack/amp stand for your equipment if you don't have one yet(whatever make as long as resonance-control issues are properly addressed). The effects of the FE Spider are quite positive, an appreciable improvement albeit not day and night. I am pleased with the results and will be getting some Ceraballs to complement the rack soon.

Sorry, I did not try any Quadraspire racks. There are quite a few Naim users who use these. The acrylic version looks better than the standard ones though.

The lowest range Finite Elemente Spider is my first "proper" hifi rack (after all these years) and I'm glad I took the plunge. Better late than never. Only now do I realise the importance of effective resonance control and the benefits it may bring to the system.

Matt, I've heard good results with QS wobbly racks and Naim equipment in a friends system. You should definately try things for yourself though.

The ceraballs should be an interesting addition and should provide a good amount of isolation. Will follow this thread for your comments.

I have done some swapping around for the past few days and finally come to a conclusion that the Naim NAC202, NAP200 and Dual Teddycap Mk3 power supply benefit considerably from the Spider rack. There can be many skeptical folks who do not believe the benefits or improvements a good rack may bring to system components after perusing some of the comments here on the forum. I do not blame them as I used to be one myself. My honest advice is to try it out and see for yourself. As the saying goes, hearing is believing.

I don’t think I need to add much about what kind of improvements were perceived. For those who are interested, in pure and simple words there is less smearing of notes from top to bottom particularly in the low registers as one hears more into the music. Save the flowery description. As there is more control to the music(less smearing), plucking and strumming of guitars, hitting of cymbals and striking of drums all sound more precise and accurate. Due to the added control, one is able to crank up the volume much higher without experiencing harshness or distortion in music.

One of my favourite tracks from U2 album Achtung Baby is “Ultraviolet”. I used to consider this recording(as with most pop and rock titles) to be poor in quality as the sound of guitars is shrill and bass bloated and plodding. When the volume is past 9 o’clock on the dial music will lose control and ears start to hurt. With the components on the new rack not only all anomalies are successfully tackled but the volume dial now goes up to 10 o’clock. At this point it’s not the ears that say stop but the concern of the speakers blowing up that arises. For the first time the volume knob is able to go beyond what that was deemed to be the limit. I am gobsmacked.

As I have mentioned earlier in another thread, I am not advocating this product but seriously urge anyone who haven't got a *proper* equipment rack to consider getting one, any make that is appropriate as long as resonance issues are successfully addressed. To me the benefits and improvements gained are well worth the money. A note though -since all rooms and systems are different, YMMV shall apply.

Pictures of current system are as below. Pardon the quality of the photos as digital camera is not very good.

WhiteHorse009.jpg

WhiteHorse005.jpg

WhiteHorse010.jpg

I listen to these almost everyday.

WhiteHorse007.jpg

One set of Ceraball Spider will make their way into the system tomorrow.

advertisement

Back