advertisement

Naim 72/140 Repair or Sell?

ClothEarsAndy

pfm Member
I have a Naim 72/140 which I've owned for over 25 years. The last 17 or so of which, they've been sat unused in their shipping boxes at the back of a cupboard as my family had taken over my music room and it'd become a home cinema room.

Anyway, as they say everything passes, and it's now back as a music room . I'm not sure what to do with them now. I'm thinking of replacing them and am looking for a good integrated amp in the £1500 to £2000 range. The speakers are Audio Physic Virgos with either a Raspberry Pi or an original Roksan Caspian.

I'm probably going to buy a Denefrips Aries Dac.

I know that they need recapping before I use them, but don't know if it's worth getting them done or just selling them on untouched. It looks like if I recap them then I won't get my money back and they don't seem like a natural choice to go with the Virgos.

The Virgos are currently being driven by a monster Arcam home cinema amp, which in fairness doesn't do too bad a job.

Any thoughts folks ? Fix or sell ? Any advice on a good replacement amp in that price range? I'm thinking an Exposure, a Hegel or maybe a Rega Elicit. One other option maybe the Exposure XM9's or MA monoblocks.

I would either service or replace with something like a Supernait, 2nd hand. The ATC integrated is supposed to be rather good & that would be another option.

I'm scared to try them as they are as I almost blew up one of my speakers when sometime ago a Linn LK power amp blew a capacitor and dumped 35v DC onto the speaker terminal.

So the general feeling is that they'd beat a sub £2k integrated then? I've read that the Virgos can be quite a difficult speaker to drive.

I'm scared to try them as they are as I almost blew up one of my speakers when sometime ago a Linn LK power amp blew a capacitor and dumped 35v DC onto the speaker terminal.

So the general feeling is that they'd beat a sub £2k integrated then? I've read that the Virgos can be quite a difficult speaker to drive.
Do you have a dealer you could ask to check them over? If you like the Naim sound and you presumably do having bought the 72/140 all those years ago, I’d be looking to try them with those speakers and if you are happy they work well together then consider a service and adding a Hi Cap/TeddyCap/CHC/Avondale power supply.

There are different input boards you can play about with too from the likes of RSL and Avondale which seem popular and are often commented on as an improvement.

Loads of options for integrated amps in budget and many will give you an internal DAC and Remote (think an RSL board can give you a remote) but not sure any would give you a big improvement over the Naims.

Do you have a dealer you could ask to check them over? If you like the Naim sound and you presumably do having bought the 72/140 all those years ago, I’d be looking to try them with those speakers and if you are happy they work well together then consider a service and adding a Hi Cap/TeddyCap/CHC/Avondale power supply.

There are different input boards you can play about with too from the likes of RSL and Avondale which seem popular and are often commented on as an improvement.

Loads of options for integrated amps in budget and many will give you an internal DAC and Remote (think an RSL board can give you a remote) but not sure any would give you a big improvement over the Naims.

Finding a dealer would be quite difficult due to my location, but I have spoken to Class A Audio and may be able to drop them off with them in a week or two.

Sounds like it may be worth it after all.

Looking at the measurements on your Virgo's and your comment on results with your "monster Arcam" combination I'd likely go with the earlier recommendation of an SN2 or Hegel, or a similar higher power integrated.
Audio Physic Virgo loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

I had a 72/Hicap with a late generation 140 and found it to be slightly underwhelming with most speakers compared to an earlier 180. My 72 was serviced and shortly after outfitted it with NJ cards and it was a massive upgrade. So if you choose to keep the shoeboxes I'd consider the replacement cards mandatory.

I replaced my shoeboxes last year with a Belles Aria and would be lying if I didn't acknowledge missing the Naim aesthetics but zero regrets from a sonics standpoint.

I can understand an unwillingness to connect the 72/140 to your good speakers. Why not look on eBay/Facebook Marketplace/Gumtree for a cheap local pair of "stunt" speakers. If can hear them working before you buy or at least check out their continuity with a multimeter you have safer way to try out the old amps.

Hegel are very nice. Not much 'character' which is either a good or bad thing depending on which camp you're in. Straight forward neutral and no harshness imhe. Currently using an H95 after an H90 and H120 which I unfortunately sold to go active.

I am of late also an Arcam user (SA20) after decades of not using the brand. Lovely but in s different way to Hegel. The SA30 would bewithin your budget.

Thanks everyone. Seems that keeping them after passing them through Class A Audio might be the way to go.
I'd also thought of going the Avondale Audio upgrade path, my brother has done that with his 140 and is delighted.

I have checked the amps with cheaper speakers (no need to buy a pair for testing, I have plenty lying around including Heybrook HB1's, Acoustic Energy's etc.:)..).

Thanks everyone.

I’ve had many Naim setups including a 72/HC/140. I thought it was a very nice and versatile system, and worth keeping around if you like the shoebox configuration and vintage appeal. I certainly did. Worth having Class A service them if you keep them.

That said, within your £1500 - £2000 budget you could stay with Naim and pick up a pre-owned Supernait 2, which significantly outclasses the 72/HC/140, in my experience.

Of course there are plenty of options out there too. Best wishes!

Probably little point in servicing the 72, they are pretty bomb proof, particularly if you plan to stick RSL or NJ cards in as that replaces just about everything anyway. They don't get that so hot so caps can last for decades with no big issue. A power amp may well be benefit from a service depending on how long it has been left on for. I have a 72 with RSL boards albeit with Hicap 250 and have spent some time with a Supernait, I would keep the 72/140 if it otherwise agrees with you. The "obvious" missing thing is a remote, with RSL you can add that to a 72 if you want, I am happy without but each to their own.

72 can only go up in value and as said if you change the boards it's transformed.
Definitely something just clicks with a 72/140/HC ( personally I'd try any Avondale power supply)
I'd say get the 140 recapped swap boards on the 72 ( Avondale, RSL, NJ etc) get a power supply and enjoy.

The 72 is a great base and options are endless.

The 140 can get serviced or numerous options to upgrade it as well.

The shoe box set up is very nice and saves rack space

advertisement

Back