advertisement

Naim 32.5 monitor switch function?

rbuyer1980

pfm Member
I got a Naim 32.5 pre amp no sound when I switch to Monitor. switch back to normal, the sound is out. So what is the function of the Monitor ?

it switches the sound to whatever is on the tape input for those with 3 head tape decks or computerised recording eqipment who want to listen to the result of their recording in real time, whilst keeping the main selecton fed to the tape output.

So the monitor output is sounding better than other channels?

The monitor is just an extra layer of switching; you're still hearing the output of the tape deck through the same buffer and gain circuits. What did change between pre amp models was whether the output to tape signal was buffered or not. Anything bigger than a 32 had an active tape buffer output (324 board) that buffers the source to tape outputs so that the source isn't driving both the pre-amp and the tape. Lesser models derived took it directly from source via at most a 680R resistor. That may affect SQ depending on the source.

Mark.

How about the bnc input in aux channel? Can I use a RCA- bnc interconnect cable to my cd player?

If the 326 or 328 boards are installed, yes. Solder an RCA socket on instead or put a BNC-phono adaptor on them and use a conventional RCA cable. And ditch any 328 boards if they are installed and get the 326 link boards.

Mark.

I got a Naim 32.5 pre amp no sound when I switch to Monitor. switch back to normal, the sound is out. So what is the function of the Monitor ?
It can get particularly odd when using an RCA(or other non DIN termination) to DIN interconnect...wired incorrectly, such a cable becomes a one way cable and will work in the Monitor position but not through the input selector.

advertisement

Back