advertisement

Naim 272 doesn’t like Netflix / iPlayer

jimmymcfarrell

pfm Member
I’ve recently put together a (predominantly) olive Naim system - SBLs / 2x NAP250 / SNAXO / HiCap - however as sources were always planned to be digital only: Tidal / FLAC rips of my CD collection from a USB hard drive / TV from a Humax Freeview recorder, I decided to go with a NAC-N 272 pre-streamer as it offered all the functionality I needed as well as keeping the number of boxes to a minimum.
So far, sort of, so good. All the music sources sound excellent, freeview TV either live or recorded to the Humax’s hard disk is also ok however if I play Netflix or iPlayer (so any of the on-demand streaming video services I use) I just get a horrendous digital distortion noise. Can’t hear any of the actual audio from the stream just this horrible noise, it’s volume is variable by the volume control of the 272 but it’s still slightly audible (just) even when the volume is turned right down! Seems really strange that the humax can talk to the Naim absolutely fine for freeview but not for streaming. They’re connected via optical toslink & different cables or inputs on the 272 do not make any difference. I’ve used this humax recorder with various systems in the past and it’s always just worked so any suggestions greatly appreciated as I’m very much stumped.

I will have to have a look, I did wonder about that but assumed the Humax output settings would be consistent across all sources and as it works on freeview it should work on Netflix (although clearly there’s some inconsistency because it doesn't).

I wonder if it’s set to output Dolby digital but DD is not available from freeview broadcasts / recordings hence why this is only an issue from Netflix etc.

Are you taking the optical feed straight from the Humax? If so I would try taking it from the TV instead, assuming it has a Toslink port, and set the TV to output PCM stereo. That should give you a compatible signal into the 272 regardless of the AV source used.

Are you taking the optical feed straight from the Humax? If so I would try taking it from the TV instead, assuming it has a Toslink port, and set the TV to output PCM stereo. That should give you a compatible signal into the 272 regardless of the AV source used.

Yes that’s what I do with my 272 - also reduces the risk of lip sync difficulties.

Yes that’s what I do with my 272 - also reduces the risk of lip sync difficulties.
Exactly what I do with my 272. Optical out from LG TV to 272. I think I had to set TV to ‘Stereo’ output. Work brilliantly no issues with lypsync here.

Might be the excuse I need for a new TV as I’m pretty sure the tv doesn’t have a digital audio output.
I haven’t found anything in the Humax options to change output from DD to PCM.

Also been noticing a pop through the speakers occasionally, maybe once or twice every hour. I’ve got no idea if/when the amps were last serviced so wondering if this is an indication of some work being required. I don’t think this is noise on the mains from the fridge or boiler etc as the hifi is fed from its own radial circuit just supplying one 2gang MK unswitched socket via 10mm cable and a 40a breaker so I’d hope this would prevent noise getting through (I’ve certainly had no issues with transformer humm which I know the olive 250s are notorious for when plugged into a circuit also supplying lots of other stuff around the house).

Might be worth checking the Humax while on iPlayer or Netflix. On my Panasonic TV some of the menu options are context sensitive, ie they only appear when there is the appropriate input/output. I have sold my Humax boxes due to lack of use, so can't check here.

advertisement

Back