advertisement

Naim 250 problem

kriss777

pfm Member
Switched on my Naim 250 this evening and it tripped the Mcb so reset mcb same result any ideas to what could be causing the problem.
Thanks

How old is the 250? Is it a bolt up or sleeved version?
You say MCB, do you mean the over current device, or a residual current device? One behaves like a fuse and the other looks for leakage to earth. The two are potentially completely different faults, if one exists. Sometimes they draw a lot of current on turn-on and can do this.

My 250 is one of the very early sleeved ones with red wrapping on the transformer it dates to 1982.The amplifier has never tripped the mains before and has just started doing this yesterday after switching and resetting the trip twice. The circuit breaker in question is a Hagar CD263U 63 AMP RCD. Hope this helps, also would you no the gauge of the thick wire in a CB hicap as I may need to replace one that has coroded above the large capacitor terminal.
Many thanks for your help

My 250/2 does this from time to time, though normally only once. Less frequently the Supercap is the culprit. Other appliances trip the consumer unit too, but only high wattage ones (oven, iron, oil radiator), from which I assume the problem isn't the appliance.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, However we can eliminate the RCD being at fault as I have 2 Naim CB250 from my early active days my other 250 works flawlessly and has never tripped either mcb or rcd so the fault clearly lies with my other 250. I like the pun btw.

I have 3 250s in my setup. I have to switch them on one by one as sometimes the inrush current may trip the MCB. When I move the system into the living room I will get the breaker uprated.

advertisement

Back