advertisement

Nagra's 70th anni turntable,

I've heard about this elsewhere - it sounds ace, although its pricing is firmly in the absolutely daft category. I might actually have a chance of hearing one at some point though.

I noticed they have copied parts of the Reed drive with some Thales thrown in for good measure. Too much metal in it for it to be state of the art...

i, your right GTA, everyone wants a Bugatti moment, even if they don't sell any, just because they can,

Reactions: GT
I’m curious as to what the history of Nagra is, does anyone have any idea? The land-grab into oligarch bling-fi doesn’t seem to sit with the lovely open reel recorders of the ‘60s and ‘70s. There was real form dictated by function and sound engineering there, whereas now it just looks like they have retained a little of the look (e.g. everything has the tape deck meter and switch aesthetic in some new context). Have they changed ownership?

Just another daft product aimed at tech billionaires. If you need to spend that much money to overcome inherent technical problems in a format then it is just bonkers

Agreed, especially when you can buy this for under £8K

AVvXsEjduGK1yNGkdPO4mRkcC1RU94Wb_I4xcXQjL8eYnZzhP2Ubo6fTZDIf-CdxFZjyhfXOK988actR8BcNqe8cOMdocbaVrhBULM8l0NH-4Uqbc_cpITCy8JAvsLFbngFs2zXSnEdr3klD4ZjwW8XSyPn6nn43oISGgoZQmiLt5CSrorVkoaYaudTaGCMS=s2048

AVvXsEjX7trTl0iy-SNViIn551Kj6RrKL0mx6mKsGhg_0S4TiA7piacX95NXaQ8G1g1pPJQ7bFOEFQbje84mJbq8cve2s60GXkWrN6bodQeRhXCaKlQ9b4cI3or60u9cGo5sbXcvW-VOIId8YZsN475brsmVfUmPm0038UhPLXZivMhhsvcb-p5Vr0MsWymZ=s2048

JH06Holbos%20amazing%20airbearing%20turntable%20system%20with%20linear%20tracking%20arm.jpg

Air bearing main bearing plus a parallel tracking air bearing tonearm included in the price. Just add your cartridge of choice.
Colour finish: Black or white.

It's by FAR the most expensive they have ever made, and it's a TT, their first one, takes the piss out of naim though, an all out assault on a big pre and power would have been more obvious, but hay, who am i to argue,

I'm sure it's all very uber engineering but the price is nuts. Looks wise mostly smart industrial but their signature meter looks very out of place.

I quite liked the Tentogra linked to from the same page, at less than remove-a-zero-and-half-it, that company might actually sell some, though not to me :D

https://hifipig.com/tentogra-wowo-turntable-unveiled/

The Nagra looks amazing. If I had so much money that it didn't matter (and it suited my decor) then I'd have one.

Agreed, especially when you can buy this for under £8K

AVvXsEjduGK1yNGkdPO4mRkcC1RU94Wb_I4xcXQjL8eYnZzhP2Ubo6fTZDIf-CdxFZjyhfXOK988actR8BcNqe8cOMdocbaVrhBULM8l0NH-4Uqbc_cpITCy8JAvsLFbngFs2zXSnEdr3klD4ZjwW8XSyPn6nn43oISGgoZQmiLt5CSrorVkoaYaudTaGCMS=s2048

AVvXsEjX7trTl0iy-SNViIn551Kj6RrKL0mx6mKsGhg_0S4TiA7piacX95NXaQ8G1g1pPJQ7bFOEFQbje84mJbq8cve2s60GXkWrN6bodQeRhXCaKlQ9b4cI3or60u9cGo5sbXcvW-VOIId8YZsN475brsmVfUmPm0038UhPLXZivMhhsvcb-p5Vr0MsWymZ=s2048

JH06Holbos%20amazing%20airbearing%20turntable%20system%20with%20linear%20tracking%20arm.jpg

Air bearing main bearing plus a parallel tracking air bearing tonearm included in the price. Just add your cartridge of choice.
Colour finish: Black or white.
That is actually very good value, not sure I like the idea of an air bearing (compressor noise?) but a very neat & beautiful design.

There will always be buyers, that’s why they’re made.
Actually I think ultra-luxury pricing is there instead (OK, maybe as well) to sell lower priced products from the same company through an effect called "price anchoring".

Marketing research confirms this drags a customer's perception of "good value" in the direction of the ultra-luxury price. A £100 T-shirt becomes "good value" if compared to a very swanky £1,000 one. And the well-known saying goes: "The best way to sell a $2,000 wristwatch is to display it next to a $10,000 wristwatch".

I don't object to people paying ultra-luxury prices for ultra-luxury products. Heavens, I have my own (not ultra by any measure) luxury items, so where does one set any limit? However I do worry that the price anchoring effect also influences other audio equipment suppliers to move their own products upwards in the market leaving behind a lot of potential customers, including me.

advertisement

Back