advertisement

Nagra vs Audio Note

The trouble with modern DAC chips sets, including FPGA designs, is that they output 2 volts, so only a buffer stage is required. That means in most cases an op-amp buffer stage like in Denafrips top DAC, or a discrete transistor or MOSFET output stage is used. Alternatively, with a tube output a cathode follower stage would have to be used. Both types of buffer stage are not great for good sound quality as they require feedback to work. I believe the latter is what is used in the Total DAC designs. Another advantage of the TDA 1541 is that it outputs about 30mV so you need a high quality amplification stage to get you to 2 volts output. This can be achieved with an elegantly designed discrete valve/tube output stage and this is where big gains in sound quality can be achieved, that is if it is done correctly.

i use an audionote 2.1 signiture dac , which is great for £1200 quid which it cost seconhand , but ive heard my dac against a lampizator trp in the same system and the lampi sounds better , should be on your list . folks also say putting something like a mutec mc3 between dac and transport improves sound further . phil.

advertisement

Back