advertisement

Nagaoka MP500

One thing to note is the metal body Nagaokas (MP-400 & 500) are slightly smaller footprint than the other MPs as the ‘corners’ are lopped-off.

Ah, it's narrower! Never noticed that before. Used an MP11 Boron years ago and yeah, they are big cartridges.

Another issue I had with that cart was that the stylus fell off. Twice! You could blame clumsy handling but I've never had the stylus come off any other cartridge. I reckoned at the time that maybe it was difficult to bond the stylus to the boron cantilever but the OC9 has a boron cantilever and didn't have an issue with those.

Doesn't everyone?
c0301.gif

Nope.

Another issue I had with that cart was that the stylus fell off.

I’ve thankfully never had a problem with that so far either with the MP-500 or a MP-11 Boron (in a Stilton Audio metal body) I had back in the 80s. I wish I’d kept that MP-11 as a spare as it was a wonderful cart, just slaughtered the then ubiquitous K9 to my ears. It was the last MM I owned before going off down the MC route for a few decades. I went back to MMs as I really like the TD-124 and wanted something optimal both for the period-correct 3009 and the better sounding ferrous iron sub-platter. The MP-500 fits that brief perfectly IMO. Makes for a nicely balanced and coherent turntable.

Most of my family dislike it, i love it.

Rap is just about the only genre of music I don't listen to and actively dislike. The rules seem to be: Find an already popular song with a strong hook, put it to bland repetitive beat and talk over it in a monotone voice. Then you've got the latest development, mumble rappers, who don't even have enough talent to speak English.

How does the 20x2L compare to the Exact? You may be the first person I've seen who's used both! Is it less full bodied?

I love the Exact and basically want more of the same.

Good question! I wouldn't want to say for sure, as I had them at different times on different decks, but if you like the exact, you'll love the 20x2L! That I'm sure of! Needed a bit of running in to open out, but was detailed, full, quick, very musical, but that was on my WT Simplex with an Arkless phono then a DV P75 mk3.

The rules seem to be: Find an already popular song with a strong hook, put it to bland repetitive beat and talk over it in a monotone voice. Then you've got the latest development, mumble rappers, who don't even have enough talent to speak English.

That’s the equivalent of hating rock music as it’s just a bunch of idiots in tight spandex trousers with elaborate hairstyles going ‘widdly widdly widdly’ on silly pointed guitars for no apparent reason.

That’s the equivalent of hating rock music as it’s just a bunch of idiots in tight spandex trousers with elaborate hairstyles going ‘widdly widdly widdly’ on silly pointed guitars for no apparent reason.

No, it isn't but I don't much like idiots in tight spandex trousers with elaborate hairstyles going ‘widdly widdly widdly’ on silly pointed guitars either.

I’d like to try a Nagaoka 500. Best place to buy?
I don’t have a single rap record but it is the single most important creative development and influence in popular music ( and jazz) over past 50 years.

Rap is just about the only genre of music I don't listen to and actively dislike. The rules seem to be: Find an already popular song with a strong hook, put it to bland repetitive beat and talk over it in a monotone voice. Then you've got the latest development, mumble rappers, who don't even have enough talent to speak English.

rock has mainly ripped off the blues and rock and roll, nowt special there. rap is about the lyrics as much as the music. there are many forms of english, ie pigeon,
american, cockney rhyming plus all the dialects and quirks

I don’t have a single rap record but it is the single most important creative development and influence in popular music ( and jazz) over past 50 years.

say what you like about him, bought cartridge and spare stylus from here https://snvinyl.co.uk/ presume it was in stock, got in around 4 days, he kept me updated too.

Rock has mainly ripped off the blues and rock and roll, nowt special there.

Everything in music is derivative of other music. I'm not denying rap its place. It gave a voice to disenfranchised people who had little talent or desire to work. Fine, call it urban poetry or something but it is terrible music and there is no law that says I have to like it.

It varies hugely, but have a look around eBay for Japanese sellers. I can’t remember where I got mine from, maybe Thakker in Germany, but it was years ago when we could buy stuff from the EU and was at least £100 less than UK. eBay has been great for styluses, I just wait until they are having one of those 10% or more off coupon things and then order direct from Japan. Not even paid £200 delivered so far, nor been hit for tax either, which is strange. That’s only a sample group of two styli, but it’s little more than half the UK price.

JT-80 MM made for Technics Sounds better than it looks

Screenshot-2020-05-28-at-11.18.59_result.jpg

I know Nag did a limited JT80 to 1200GAE
Looks different in color to current JT80-BK
is it similar ?
As far as I know both current JT80 are with elliptical stylus, I would have hoped for a finer stylus tip to become available.

I know Nag did a limited JT80 to 1200GAE
Looks different in color to current JT80-BK
is it similar ?
As far as I know both current JT80 are with elliptical stylus, I would have hoped for a finer stylus tip to become available.
The SL-1210GAE is supplied with the Moving Magnet JT-1210 cartridge that was specifically tuned by a joint team of engineers from Technics and Nagaoka. The JT-1210 features a Boron cantilever. Not sure if it is available to buy separately. It does look just like the JT80BK and LB models for sure.

advertisement

Back