advertisement

NAC72 to non-Naim power amp

awl

pfm Member
Quick question I hope: to connect my Nac72/HiCap to a non-Naim power amp, should I take the signal from the 72 four-pin output or from the HiCap? I have the requisite 4-pin DIN to L-R phono cable.

It's better to take it from the 4-pin DIN on the back of the preamp. Naim recommends taking the output from the Hicap, but that’s only because some Naim power-amps have 24v on one of those 4 pins, which would cause a problem. Your DIN to phono cable will be immune to that anyway.

Quick question I hope: to connect my Nac72/HiCap to a non-Naim power amp, should I take the signal from the 72 four-pin output or from the HiCap? I have the requisite 4-pin DIN to L-R phono cable.
Hello Andrew,

Unless you know for certain that your DIN4 to 2 x RCA cable is wired according to Naim pattern, suggest testing the DIN pin to RCA plugs assignments, as a cable that is wired for Quad pre-out won't work with Naim, as the latter has only the one DIN4 pin assignment in common with Quad (i.e. Naim ch1 aka Lch +ve aka DIN4 pin 1). DIN5 180 input leads (whether they are DIN to DIN or RCA to DIN) are interchangeable between the brands, DIN4 to RCA on output not so much.

Female socket side (Male solder side):
DIN4-216-pin-outs.png

If in doubt, test for continuity between the following:
  • DIN pin 1 (Naim ch1) to RCA Lch +ve pin
  • DIN pin 4 (Naim ch2) to RCA Rch +ve pin
  • DIN pin 3 (Naim -ve) to both RCA -ve rings.

Thanks both, it's reassuring to have such knowledgable input before deciding what to do. I'm pleased to report it's all hooked up and working!

Last edited:

advertisement

Back