advertisement

Nac42.5 to 62

Milspec1

ZxFYtOz_d.webp
icUutOr_d.webp
I recently acquired what I was told is a Nac 62 that started its life as a 42.5. It has a main board from a 62 and front face plate as well. The sled is a 42.5 with one less output. It appears to have placed both tuner/ aux on to one din. Also they removed the outputs from the 5 pin hicap connection. Took me a while to figure out how come I was not getting sound from the 135’s. (Had to make a cable) I originally posted this question on the Naim forum but it was kicked off for some bizarre reason? Before that happen it was mentioned that the initial MJS on the board was some how tied into Witch hat audio and that they may have modified or maybe built it? Is there a benefit to leaving the 5 pin voltage separate from the output ?

MJS worked at Naim for a time. He likely assembled/tested and signed off on the board. Could have ended up in a 42.5 chassis at any point thereafter.

Reactions: MJS
If that board was signed by me (it was) then I would have hand stuffed it in 1988 on summer work experience. But it's clearly been rewired as that is definitely not factory original wiring.

Ok well it seems like that means it was most likely and homebrew mod. Any idea if there is any increase in sound quality separating the 24v from the output ? My guess is probably not much if any at all ?

It's been adapted to use the Avondale cabling method only. Power in on one socket but no reason to route the output back through the power supply using an extra run of cable is the theory. Output from the 4 pin socket only.

Depends on where you think the best star earth point should be. Preamp or PSU.

When I ran my 82 on 2xHC or the Avondale APX4 I ran with the Avondale system since it sounded better to me, and actually there is no proper star earth point in the PSU since there are either two separate PSU's or 4.

Having gone over to a TSC and a superlinked 82 I've actually gone back to the Naim cabling system but actually that might be because the earth conductors in the standard witch hat cables might be a bit inadequate. If you think about it the earth conductor should be much thicker than any of the PS lines since it carries multiple times the current and also the audio ground.

FWIW I also preferred the Avondale approach when I used any of the shoebox preamps.

So far I think it sounds very nice. My only comparison at the moment is a 32. It is running with a snaps. So it is not apples to apples comparison. My goal will be to eventually find a nice 32.5 and see if I think it is missing something.
Did you find the change to be subtle?

Yes certainly subtle.

I imagine that you might find the 62 better than the 32 at present (if not you should certainly service the 62 - I'm no fan of those SLCE axial caps). The reason is actually pretty obvious in that it isn't bloated by loads of additional circuitry you don't need (tape output buffers plus extra phono boards), all of which place a load on the PSU. The situation doesn't reverse if you upgrade to a Hicap since the actual circuitry in the 32.5 and 62 is the same unless you can find a 32.5 with the upgraded 729 time aligned input buffer from the 72 (these are not common since it actually makes only a small difference).

Amongst my collection of things I have (and fairly regularly use for extended periods) is a very early extruded case 42 (before the black beauty pot and metal film resistors) which I've modified to run on four rails. In terms of sound quality it's in the same territory as a maxed out and superlinked 82. Possibly slightly less revealing and less bass but slightly more "bounce" to the sound.

You'll get a lot more out of increasing the number of PSU rails to the 62 than going up the preamp chain and it's actually easier to work with the one board preamps than the ones with plug in cards for that purpose.

When you say increasing the number of power supply rails, is that by adding a second high cap only or there are some mods involved?

You can go as far as you like and by several different paths.

It's possible to get six audio rails into the 42/62 but no point having more than four if you don't intend to use internal phono cards.

If you want the led and delay relay to still operate, and without compromise to the audio then ideally you need an additional non audio rail.

A dual Teddycap or DIY equivalent is ideal for that purpose.

Another way to go is to have a single pair of main supply rails and add local regulation to each audio circuit such as by using the Avondale gyrator boards.

There are plenty of threads on here about the various alternatives.

Yes certainly subtle.

I imagine that you might find the 62 better than the 32 at present (if not you should certainly service the 62 - I'm no fan of those SLCE axial caps). The reason is actually pretty obvious in that it isn't bloated by loads of additional circuitry you don't need (tape output buffers plus extra phono boards), all of which place a load on the PSU. The situation doesn't reverse if you upgrade to a Hicap since the actual circuitry in the 32.5 and 62 is the same unless you can find a 32.5 with the upgraded 729 time aligned input buffer from the 72 (these are not common since it actually makes only a small difference).

Amongst my collection of things I have (and fairly regularly use for extended periods) is a very early extruded case 42 (before the black beauty pot and metal film resistors) which I've modified to run on four rails. In terms of sound quality it's in the same territory as a maxed out and superlinked 82. Possibly slightly less revealing and less bass but slightly more "bounce" to the sound.

You'll get a lot more out of increasing the number of PSU rails to the 62 than going up the preamp chain and it's actually easier to work with the one board preamps than the ones with plug in cards for that purpose.
What did you replace the slce caps with ? Anything particular ? looks like I could replace all of the E caps in the 62 with Elna ROA Series caps

Various things over the years actually and all with some success.

My 42 has 56uF NoS Oscon SP's for decoupling and 47uF Elna Silmic II's for feedback.

One of my 82's had Elna Silmic II's all round (be warned they need a bit of run in as decouplers) but now has Evox Rifa film caps for feedback. They've lasted very well - now 20 years in

The other 82 has Nichicon Muze kz for decoupling and Elna Silmic II's for feedback.

These are all good options.

I've also (pre PFM) re-capped a 32.5 entirely with Elna Stargets with very satisfactory results.

The SLCE's were the main reason I recapped my oldest 82 back when it was only a couple of years old. They create a very harsh edge to the treble - the so called Naim treble rip.

The current fashion is the Muze KZ & Silmic II option and it certainly works.

If you'd prefer a single cap option then the Silmic II's is what I'd recommend, but you'll need a few weeks run in to get the full benefit.

advertisement

Back