advertisement

NAC 82

IM recent experience, it was like adding a power supply. I spoke to Darran at Class A about it, I have no plans at the mo for more upgrades, so had it done. Very noticeably more air and space from mid to highs.

Mark, there was a point in the early noughties where we 82 owners were advised by Salisbury to remove one of the internal cable ties and spread the wires around the volume and balance pots.

It's possible that I dreamed this, but in the same dream it made a discernible difference....

Mark, there was a point in the early noughties where we 82 owners were advised by Salisbury to remove one of the internal cable ties and spread the wires around the volume and balance pots.

It's possible that I dreamed this, but in the same dream it made a discernible difference....

Ah, the 'cable-tie' mod. Yep, they still do this!

I did on my 52 in the past and didn't hear a big difference.
Vincenzo

I was informed by an excellent third party service centre on here that the POTS 8 makes no difference to sound quality and is simply a designed to control the volume pot etc.

Isn't this the case?

In terms of signal path there's no difference between any POTS boards - signal goes into the vol pot, into the bal pot and out again. Fitting a brand new vol pot and bal pot to any old POTS board would make the same difference as fitting a new POTS8 board, and at a much lower cost. The main difference is how the motors are driven, but that does not affect the audio side of things of course.

So the Naim service engineer is lying then?

I had the POTS8 mod performed on my aged 52 and was underwhelmed by the change. Mind you Naims service center in the USA did quite a bodge job of the whole service including connecting the board connectors backwards that it may not be a fair judgement of the POTS

What is the thinking then if POTS 8 has no affect on the sound? What purpose does it serve?

Pots 8 improves the sound on an 82 according to countless people across the Naim forum. I've no direct experience, except to say i had a nice sounding 82, pre pots 8, and i now own a better sounding 282. On the other hand, if i
had a great sounding pre pots 8, i doubt i'd bother spending serious money to make it pots 8.

In terms of signal path there's no difference between any POTS boards - signal goes into the vol pot, into the bal pot and out again. Fitting a brand new vol pot and bal pot to any old POTS board would make the same difference as fitting a new POTS8 board, and at a much lower cost. The main difference is how the motors are driven, but that does not affect the audio side of things of course.

Hard to argue with this! I remember that a Naim engineer was quoted as saying that the difference in sound quality was due to the fact that the old pot, which had probably spent most of its life in roughly the same position range, had a worn track and the new pot had a pristine new one. As I understand it the POTS8 board has different logic to give a slow rate of change for short presses on the remote's button and a faster rate if held down, it aids useability but doesn't affect sq unless as described above.

advertisement

Back