advertisement

NAC 52 inputs randomly selecting themselves without request

scottcarpenter

pfm Member
My fabulous olive NAC52 has recently started to randomly switch inputs (and outputs) without request from the remote control or my finger on the front panel. The Mono and Mute buttons also activate too.

This can happen when I have music on or when the system is on but not playing.

The same thing sometimes happens to the balance control too which will move off centre position to either 11 or 1 o'clock (ish). It can be frequent (i.e. every 15 mins) or only once a day.

The 52 is powered by a remarkable Teddy Supercap and has an LP12 plugged into the 'Tuner" input and a CDi into the 'CD' input.

The problem makes absolutely no difference to sound quality or performance.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar or know what might be causing this?

Surely my 52 can't be possessed?!:eek:

I am in Sydney so returning the amp to the UK for attention doesn't inspire me (although I have good local technician if someone knows what might be wrong).

All thoughts appreciated...

Naim use a remote protocol that is quite common in Europe (RC-5) and although Naim implement it properly, some other manufacturers may not, so could something else remote controlled in the room be triggering the 52? Easy to test, just stick something opaque over the IR receiver window.
If it isn't that, then its probably the microprocessor board, which wouldn't be too difficult to replace, if you could persuade Naim, or your local distributor to supply you with one, and your tech could then fit it for you. Does the Teddy Supercap power the "Digital PSU" bit as well. If it does, and you still have the original Naim digital PSU, it may be worth checking that its not a PSU problem, but I think that is unlikely.

I agree with Jem's comments. You need to work out if something inside has gone wrong or if it's down to stray IR stuff getting in, so you need to block off the IR receiver first to see where the problem lies.

Mick

Many thanks guys. That's very helpful.

I going to block it off now.

I am hoping that this is the problem, although the pessimist in me says it's internal!

I will report back.

Just be thankful its not your volume control.
I had a Nac years ago where the volume pot used to decide to go to max on its own always in the early hours.:D

It's also worth changing the batteries in the remote control handset. My B&O Beomaster 8000 starts switching itself on and off randomly whenever the handset battery is on its way out!

New batteries are definitely a good call. My 52 did this when the batteries got weak.

Rich

One of the most common causes of RC poltergeist behaviour is an RC5 remote stuck down the edge of a sofa or chair cushion. Any movement presses buttons and sends RC signals to the pre-amp.

I encountered a similar problem which turned out to be the flash remote. My inputs/output selectors froze and couldn't be changed even by hand while simultaneously the volume control went up alarmingly. Fortunately i was able to stop the volume control before speaker damage occurred (not joking here). Tried new batteries but to no avail with a repeat of the above circumstances, though the remote would seem to work ok for awhile then suddenly freeze controls with volume advancing quickly again. Then the flash remote failed to work at all. I gave up with the flash (too unreliable to use) and returned to the standard remote and have not had any problems since. The flash is now a curious paperweight (with batteries removed). If you are using a flash remote try the standard remote (you might want to power down the 52 first to reset everything) to see if the same problem occurs.

If a not messed with Naim Nac 52 is selecting input sockets at random on its own.
There is something wrong with it.
Time for a service.

Thanks Barry but it was fully serviced approx 6 months ago so I think I will begin by changing the batteries!

Mark at Witch Hat also has some useful suggestions regarding ensuring that the front panel and logic board connection are properly connected.

I will get to the bottom of it...

Thanks Barry but it was fully serviced approx 6 months ago so I think I will begin by changing the batteries!

Mark at Witch Hat also has some useful suggestions regarding ensuring that the front panel and logic board connection are properly connected.

I will get to the bottom of it...
Ah did Mark service it?

Looking at the serial number it is one of the earliest 52s with a different remote protocol than RC5. If the remote is still working properly then I think we are looking at interference or the logic board connections.

Out of interest there can be a fault on 52 and 82s with random selection of inputs caused by the opts-isolators between the front panel and the selection relays but that doesn't cause the front lights to change.

Have an early 52 and the same happens to me regularly. Not far away to my equipment is a window with an automatic electric roller blind installed in the 80's. Not every time but very often when the electric roller blind starts the 52 inputs, mono, whatever buttons randomly switch.

I got used to it. Some people say it even improved the sound ;)

I have a 52 and whenever my father sits near the system, the volume and balance controls sometime go up and down and left to right. This is more prevelant the more excited he gets, and this only starting occuring after he had his pacemaker fitted :)

advertisement

Back