advertisement

NA Spacedeck motor sticking - any suggestions?

mentalp

pfm Member
Just went to play a new lp on my Spacedeck, gave the platter a spin but the motor pulley isn't turning. Was fine last weekend.
Managed to get it spinning without the belt in place but hit and miss and seems to stick at times. Put it back in place with the belt and again won't turn. Anyone have any tips?

Did you check whether the motor is turning and the belt is maybe sliding (and not being pulled)?

The pulley is definitely not turning, although belt was turning with the platter. I'll try cleaning the belt and see if that makes a difference

I had various issues with the motor on my Interspace. Fitted a new one and...as the kids say...boom! All as good as new. Easy to fit and wasn’t expensive at all but not sure what the cost would be for a Spacedeck motor.

I had various issues with the motor on my Interspace. Fitted a new one and...as the kids say...boom! All as good as new. Easy to fit and wasn’t expensive at all but not sure what the cost would be for a Spacedeck motor.

Same motor, different housing .

Surely such a little thing should respond well to a drop of oil, and letting it run free/fast/ unloaded for a while.

The plastic pulley is just an interference fit on the top of the motor spindle. It can be removed quite easily, but it is also quite easy to bend the thin motor spindle so be careful to pull it straight. My bet would be that it’s full of sticky dust and crud on the top bearing and it will likely respond as Martin says. The annoyance is you will have to pull the pulley off to get at it to clean and oil. I certainly took mine off to do this.

advertisement

Back