advertisement

My 'when we move' system is ready:

oldius

Manchester City, dogs, family and food.
My 'when we move system' is ready:

TTS8000, SME IV, Art1 (not shown), Technics SH-x1000 DAC streaming from SBT, Nakamichi CA7/PA7 pre power and Yamaha NS1000M

The current view:

Have you compared the mid/tweeters on the inside and the outside - if so, what were your thoughts?

A superb vintage high-end system - I bet it sounds amazing! Looks like you found very nice clean and tidy examples of everything. Have you had to do much servicing/recapping etc? I've always fancied trying one of those Sony direct drive decks as they look so solid and well made, though the very few I've seen come up have been too tatty or collect only at the other end of the country!

It's pretty much all been serviced and recapped Tony. The Nakamichi cost a fortune to recap, they are huge caps in the power section. All of the stuff was working when I found it but I feel like a custodian of it, responsible for its ongoing performance.

The Sony is a brilliant deck, I'd recommend to anyone.

I haven't. I shall try it and see. What were yours?

Well mine are used in a very much smaller room and listened to in the near field. In that situation it seemed to make the soundstage more open and spacious but with no lack of centre focus. However, in your much larger (very nice too) room you may well find the opposite.

Just tried it and surprisingly successful. I shall keep them that way around for a while to become used to the sound before changing. I feel I prefer them on the outside so thanks for the tip.

Nice Geoff. I'm surprised that the NS1000s can compete with the B&Ws because that room of yours is mahooosive!

Nice Geoff. I'm surprised that the NS1000s can compete with the B&Ws because that room of yours is mahooosive!

They're a completely different proposition really. They do have twelve inch bass drivers though so they're certainly much bigger than I remembered. They are unbelievably revealing, more so than any other speaker I've had.

Reminds me of the photos of Bub's room.

The power amp looks really serious!

The power amp is a Nelson Pass design for Threshold. Nakamichi licensed the design but didn't change it technically. It is a lovely thing, fully serviced and in extremely good nick. Yours for £3k in the late 80's! The preamp, that's another £3k Sir. Lots of money back then.

Gorgeous.

If I am not mistaken, that DAC was the first one to feature a very large buffer memory.

I've always fancied trying one of those Sony direct drive decks as they look so solid and well made, though the very few I've seen come up have been too tatty or collect only at the other end of the country!

I know just what you mean Tony. Whenever i've seen them come up for sale at online auction, they've usually disappeared after a day or so, or they are located on a Scottish island with no personal collection and payment only by bank transfer.

Very nice Oldius. Any deck is a thing of beauty when paired with the gorgeous SME IV (Still looks like it's something from the analogue future), but the Sony screams of Japanese quality.

Gorgeous.

If I am not mistaken, that DAC was the first one to feature a very large buffer memory.

It does. It is a selectable feature though, as is jitter free operation. I prefer everything switched out myself.

Shame you're in Bath, nevertheless you'd be very welcome should you ever make a North West appearance.

I am very pleased with it all. I have been into hifi for a little over three decades and I now have the system that I am most pleased with.

advertisement

Back