advertisement

My Thorens td124 journey

Fitted a new bronze end cap for the bearing well from ‘Woodsong’, previous cap was leaking a little oil. The bearing well was cleaned and fresh Mobil DTE 46 was added and at the same time a clean up here and there and a drop of oil added to the idler and stepped pulley bearings.

Previous spin down time from 33rpm to 0 was approx 1 minute, now it’s 31/2 minutes, perhaps the oil is a little thinner but I’d say the deck is running at it’s best since iv’e had it, very quiet and a joy to use and meddle with, I must at some point fit my mk11 motor with the new coils to this unit…

The bronze thrust bearing from Woodsong is great... the ball is a bit of a pain to swap but it's worth every penny for such a simple upgrade.

Chris recommends DTE24 in the main bearing and DTE25 in the motor IIRC... the 24 tends to run out of the motor a little more readily than the 25, but works better in the main bearing.

The bronze thrust bearing from Woodsong is great... the ball is a bit of a pain to swap but it's worth every penny for such a simple upgrade.

Chris recommends DTE24 in the main bearing and DTE25 in the motor IIRC... the 24 tends to run out of the motor a little more readily than the 25, but works better in the main bearing.
I've not changed the ball, original one is in fine shape, nice to have a spare tho. For the stepped pulley and idler i'm using a drop of Mobil SHC 624, for the motor and bearing well i use the DTE 46. No leaks from the bronze thrust cap and speed is very stable...

Anyone who’s read through this thread may remember the issues I had with the ‘thump’ I was getting from my speakers when switching to ‘0’ from any given speed. An ‘error’ message was then displayed from the amplifier and a promt to switch it off!. Also, there was the interference issue I had when operating the deck and tv interferance/picture break up.

So, sparkies were called to double check the electrics…all sockets, voltage, current flow tested along with the consumer unit…everything in optimum condition, no issues at all. Before they were to leave I asked them to stay and witness the ‘thump’ I was getting…plugged everything in one by one, turn the deck on to demonstrate the problem and of course…no ‘thump’, just the gentle ‘pop’ from the speakers (spark suppressor doing it’s thing). Sparkies probably thinking who is this mad man!. However, I was still getting the interference with the tv…I could live with this tho.

A little while back I’d ordered one of those td124 micro switches from the usa and a few days ago decided to fit it. Minimal disassembly to get the original switch out and a straight forward fit with the new one. Crimped on some spades to the wires for neatness to attach to the switch (no soldering required now). Re-assembled everything and plopped the deck back in plinth. Well, still a bit of a head scratcher as to what was happening before but now it’s absolutely perfect! Not even a ‘pop’ from the speakers now when switching speeds, the control knob is super smooth in it’s function and absolutely zero interference with the tv!.

Complete and playing rather wonderfully!

advertisement

Back