advertisement

My Next Car?

^ 2016 Cayman 981
2018 BMW M2 Competition
But probably a 911. You might get a higher mileage Gen 2 997. Or get a 996 Turbo: not meh !
In fact the 997.1 turbos don't have those engine issues as they have the Mezger :).

BMW M2 - seats are no good. Apparently BMW think all M2/3/4 owners have 19" hips and weigh about 4 stone wet through.

996 Turbo - one near me but they all seem to be tiptronics in my budget.
I won't get a 997.1 of any flavour with a Mezger for my budget.

Higher mileage 997.2? Not for 3 years at 14k miles a year.

^ the standard M2 seats are very comfortable for normal sized adults. If you don't fit an M2 you won't fit a Cayman.
The M2 Competition is the best car BMW make right now IMO.
Yes the 997 Turbo is more like £50k so look at a 996 Turbo.

How about the M240i/M235i - get the 6 cylinder. Virtually as quick as the M2 and cheaper, comfy seats. We have one and I am not narrow ;-). If you want better handling, get it upgraded by Birds with an LSD and better dampers.

https://www.birdsauto.com/models/2-series-f22

^ the standard M2 seats are very comfortable for normal sized adults. If you don't fit an M2 you won't fit a Cayman.

As I've stated above, the M-Sport seats in the smaller models (1-4) have bolstering that is too deep and not far enough apart. The 997, 987 and 981 seats may look similar but they are much more comfortable. 996 seats cut the circulation off in my legs despite adjusting.

^ well you didn't say you have a fat arse :)

A fat (and f**cked) back is the problem. If I sit in one of the current m-sport seats, it hurts my neck (because of the kyphosis) and lower thoracic area of my back (because of my lordosis). Now, the sports seats that were in the E24, E32 and E34 I had were perfect - the Audi sports seats are the closest match - it's a pity BMW don't have anything like it now unless you go 7 series or something with comfort seats (only in the 5 and 6).

Actually, the most comfortable seats I've ever had in a car were those in the 9000 aero.
1tL5qbbeoMCVfBVPoyBeIyOc5jbsiE7DYnzD2S79onM3xfCXmm4QWDBUajT-e2bJUl6s56u1twmjCa5PxoJEBPt8AcU_w3Fg

The Audi RS buckets are really comfortable even on a long run, but you need a reasonably small arse

OK then the Jag XK or the Merc CLS would be better for your back.
Fast Audi have a hard ride.
Not sure a 911 turbo would do your neck much good though...

The Audi RS buckets are really comfortable even on a long run, but you need a reasonably small arse

OK. In the A5, I have seats like these:
2a3c53dd-d295-4688-a957-d81d2ec5425d.jpg

And in Mrs Seeker's Mk 2 TT, she has seats like these:
s-l640.jpg

They're both fine for me. Do you know how do the RS 'super sport' seats compare. If they're OK, it might be worth checking an S5.

car seats are funny thing. I have had loads of infinitely adjustable, heated, air conditioned, massage, sports, sports plus seats..... etc etc and never been able to get totally comfortable. On the Macan i had what most would consider to be the finest seats, but i started to get backache after an hour and half driving......

scroll forward a year to my 911 Targa 4S. The original owner spent a foolish amount on extra's including the carbon fibre sports bucket seats. No adjustments apart from forwards and back, limited padding. And guess what they support you in a perfect position for driving, now i can drive 4 hours without a single ache, in comfort.....it is great. They are a little tricky to get in and out of. Oh and i am not the smallest of chaps, they are hip huggingly comfortable.....

pricey mind in addition to the other mad addons he bought

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=911&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=991&mo=911 Targa 4S&ka=Performance$Interieur&co=30&pricetest=&vin=&ac=product&pr=E2F7D02DB8301887C12579810049EB83

You can just about see them here:

20190416_165852 by uh_simon, on Flickr

OK. In the A5, I have seats like these:
2a3c53dd-d295-4688-a957-d81d2ec5425d.jpg

And in Mrs Seeker's Mk 2 TT, she has seats like these:
s-l640.jpg

They're both fine for me. Do you know how do the RS 'super sport' seats compare. If they're OK, it might be worth checking an S5.
Mine on the RS6 also have the extra adjustable bit on the front of the squab, which supports the thigh a bit better. Otherwise, they look quite similar. I can post a photo later?
They were the same on the RS4 too.
Actually, depending on whether you would consider an estate, the RS4 was a stonking car (B8) with a wonderful sounding non-turbo V8. I guess the equivalent 5 body would be the same. S4 or RS4? Not much in it I guess - would depend on what toys are fitted

advertisement

Back