advertisement

My New Razor (part III - The Stand)

An objectivist shave forum would be able to measure the fact that you get fewer cuts from a multi-blade cartridge job and just as good a result. Cue the howls of dispute, but it's true. Do we all imagine that the developers at Gillette and Wilkinson are idiots? 40 years of development and the old DE razor is still the best? Come on. What you don't get with a cartridge is the hobbyist aspect of collecting interesting things and playing with them. Where's the fun in a can of squirty gel and a cartridge that you can whizz round in 2 minutes with no skill and virtually no risk of cutting yourself? I say this as a user of a 60's Gillette that currently has a new Feather in it. Used it every working day this week, got a nick every time, and that was being careful. Do that in a hurry and you'll need a transfusion.

So the subjective boys have it, it's more fun and you can regard it as a craft you've learned. You can amuse yourself with different soaps, brushes, anything else that pleases you. Great. But don't let anyone persuade you that a Ferrari 246 Dino is a better choice as a year-round car for plying the motorways, because a 320d, Mondeo, or A4 knocks it into a cocked hat. Teleport it to the Route Napoleon on a bright early morning in early summer, and it's another matter.

I wonder if that is the norm for folks using a DE razor. I've only used mine 3 times but I would think once you got accustomed to shaving with a DE razor this would seldom be an occurrence. If I was nicking myself every time I shaved I would try to figure out why and change my technique or gear to something else.

I haven't really tried multi-blade cartridges or disposable razors for more than maybe 2/3 months at a push,. I have always used DE razors and 7 O Clock blades and struggle with multi-blade cartridges. I get a nick with a DE razor if the blade's old, don't normally get any nicks.

I would think once you got accustomed to shaving with a DE razor this would seldom be an occurrence. .
That''s the point though, only a DE needs skill, I've used the thing for about 3 years now. Feathers are just bloody sharp. Look at the people on here talking about running it over a wine cork half a dozen times before using it. Compare and contrast a few cartridge razors or disposables of many brands that I use when I'm travelling for work. I can throw the thing at my face and have the job done in 2 minutes, never a mark. The whole "technique" thing only applies to a DE. If you enjoy this, great. Some of us get a kick out of getting a hardtail MTB down a black run in spite of the fact that a full-sus downhiller is a much more forgiving tool.

Ummm ... I reguarly manage to get nicks even with a Gillette Mach3.

Personally, I use a DE for removing the bulk of hair growth when I have gone without shaving for a few days, and do the detail work with the Mach3. Or just the Mach3 when it's no more than three days since the last shave.

That''s the point though, only a DE needs skill, I've used the thing for about 3 years now. Feathers are just bloody sharp. Look at the people on here talking about running it over a wine cork half a dozen times before using it. Compare and contrast a few cartridge razors or disposables of many brands that I use when I'm travelling for work. I can throw the thing at my face and have the job done in 2 minutes, never a mark. The whole "technique" thing only applies to a DE. If you enjoy this, great. Some of us get a kick out of getting a hardtail MTB down a black run in spite of the fact that a full-sus downhiller is a much more forgiving tool.

My point is why are you cutting yourself what appears to be every time you shave? I'm not sure this is the reason most folks use a DE razor. I'm assuming once you get the hang of it, using one becomes second nature.

Ummm ... I reguarly manage to get nicks even with a Gillette Mach3.

Personally, I use a DE for removing the bulk of hair growth when I have gone without shaving for a few days, and do the detail work with the Mach3. Or just the Mach3 when it's no more than three days since the last shave.

Interesting, I've been using a Schick Extreme3 for as long as I can remember and don't recall ever nicking myself. I must be doing something wrong. :confused:

This might be helpful:

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/ThH3EWRHUZI[/YOUTUBE]

I use a Merkur Futur often with a Feather. Gillette yellow and blacks are the other ones I use. I only get nicks when I stop concentrating. I prefer using a DE, I guess it's the hobbyist thing, I enjoy the different soaps and scents. It's also a better shave if more time consuming and demanding of concentration and skill.

the only time I nick myself is if a)I've not sufficiently lathered up my face, b) I'm in a hurry, c) the blade is blunt, d) the kids are scrapping and yelling - distraction.

1950's Gillette, Flare-tip Rocket, Feather blade, Proraso Red, Super-Badger brush.

It's habit for me, pleasure, and takes little more time than shave gel and a mach V blade. Speaking of which, when I travel, my kit has shave oil and a mach V - I always look forward to getting home! The DE shave is significantly more satisfying.

PS - no obsession, no rack of brushes, pursuit of the ideal handle.... I have what I need and it works. Happy camper.

So, new blade each time or do you guys get several shaves per blade? I started off trying to get three shaves per blade, but as they're so cheap, I now use a fresh Astra blade each time. When I occasionally try to get a second shave from one, I tend to find that I'm more prone to nicking myself, so it's really not worth the hassle. Though this might change with the Feathers, if I end up trying them....

So, new blade each time or do you guys get several shaves per blade? I started off trying to get three shaves per blade, but as they're so cheap, I now use a fresh Astra blade each time. When I occasionally try to get a second shave from one, I tend to find that I'm more prone to nicking myself, so it's really not worth the hassle. Though this might change with the Feathers, if I end up trying them....

A new blade each time seems a bit much. I'm hoping to get several shaves from mine before replacing. Do you have a super heavy beard?

Feathers are by far the best for me. I usually get 3 or 4 shaves from each blade, although my beard isn't particularly heavy.
Matt.

I have a heavy beard. I get about a week from each feather blade. Certainly, a new fresh blade is sharper than a 4 or 6 shave blade...but again, no obsession, just exfoliating my face. It seems wasteful to me to biff them after each shave, but to each his own. If that's your preference, it's certainly affordable luxury!

I wonder if that is the norm for folks using a DE razor. I've only used mine 3 times but I would think once you got accustomed to shaving with a DE razor this would seldom be an occurrence. If I was nicking myself every time I shaved I would try to figure out why and change my technique or gear to something else.

Just to update that I've been shaving with a DE razor thirty some times now and haven't nicked myself once since day two which was just a careless mistake by a newbie with a blade that was packaged with the razor. I've been using Personna blades since and have been changing them about every 4th shave. I'm down to just two passes each go and have been getting pretty nice results.

Nicks were a concern of mine starting out, but for me it's really been a non-issue. I don't see myself going back to multi-blade razors ever again, except for maybe when traveling.

A new blade each time seems a bit much. I'm hoping to get several shaves from mine before replacing. Do you have a super heavy beard?
Missed your question a while back. No, not a particularly heavy beard at all, to be honest. I just don't shave daily, so when I do it tends to be slightly thicker than if I did.

Anyway, I bought a second razor (Edwin Jagger DE89L) and 50 Feather blades, and have been experimenting a bit. The DE89L and Astra blades is a really nice combination, a bit better than the Merkur 36C and Astras. DE89L and Feather blades a tad sharper, but also curiously a bit rougher (maybe a technique thing) although I got 4 shaves out of the first one before ditching it. Haven't tried a Feather blade in the 36C yet. I *suspect* that the DE89L/Astra will be the best combination, as it's a good compromise between sharpness, aggressiveness and comfort. The 36C being a tad more aggressive I think, and the Feathers being scarily sharp.

Not sure whether to adopt a two stage shave regime - i.e. first pass with Feather in one razor and finishing off with the Astra in t'other - as I find the Feathers a bit too sharp for the fiddly bits. But then, I'm still quite new to DE shaving (18 months or so)...

I would think changing the razor and blade combination during a shave would make you more prone to nicking yourself which seems to be the issue you and Steve were having.

What milestone in DE shaving is required after 18 months?

advertisement

Back