advertisement

My New Preamp

FireMoon

pfm Member
With moving from Naim to nCore 400 mono blocks there arised the thorny question of a new pre amp. After searching around for various options and with a penchant for something of the passive variety I chanced upon a guy selling his wares through eBay who offered a bespoke service. A couple of emails later we had agreed on some specs and here she is in all her glory.

Built by Anthony Cresswell of "BTE Designs" it's a compact H; 60 mm W: 225 mm D; 175mm.

Features...
3 inputs........ unbalanced
3 outputs...... 2 balanced 1 unbalanced

Khozmo stepped attenuator
Elma Rotary Switch selector
Solid Silver Wiring
Balanced out via Sowter 35,75 Phase splitting transformers....
Cherry fascia and rear with black powder coated wrap and base.

Currently sic, running with temporary knobbage whilst awaiting the arrival of two Ebony knobs from HK.

First impressions are that, it really doesn't seem to leave a sonic footprint of it's own, which is really what it is all about?

Anthony kept me abreast of the build with regular updates and as for price, I'd be interested to see what others think it cost. Anyway, a few pics during construction.

faQndTf.jpg

ueiQNvZ.jpg

gJz7Gwf.jpg

looks similar in spec to passives available from other vendors for circa £300/400?

EDIT: i see it was way less...

EDIT: What is the point of balanced outputs when you have no balanced inputs? It's my understanding that XLR usually output a higher voltage that RCA, but as its a passive it will not be able to increase the voltage output to the XLR therefore potentially not providing optimum output?

I had one of his stepped attenuator passives in a wood case cost me c£95 if I remember.
Good amp for the money but not as good as my Chevron Paradox pre so I sold it on.

Good match for Bruno's Ncores might be his balanced preamp, current group buy in DIY Audio. PCB c/w presoldered 0.1% MELF SMD resistors C. £35 !
Though this is an active Pre.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...balanced-preamp-group-buy-35.html#post4620341

Bruno reckons his design will stand up to most high end Pre's and it's so cheap as to be a no brainer IMO.

Here is his White paper on the design.
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/The G Word.pdf

Worth wading through this white paper if only for the joke on page 4.

I currently have a passive TVpre but the 4metere interconnects needed from my TT are killing the dynamics.

advertisement

Back