advertisement

My new old amp: the Yamaha AX-2000

starbuck

pfm Member
I acquired a Yamaha AX-2000 - a brute of a remote controlled integrated amp with on board DAC and MM/MC phono stage - a while ago with an existing fault, in the hope that it might be something straightforward/simple to fix (because it would need to be if I was going to be able to sort it out myself). I had a brief play with it when I first got it a few months ago and established, yes, it is definitely faulty in some way, as any music played back was simply too loud (and possibly distorted sounding) irrespective of how low the volume control was set. Playback via the digital direct option gave an improvement in volume level but it still seemed like the volume control wasn't really useable, going from quiet to 'turn it down!' with even the slightest of movement of the volume knob.

It took me too long, about 6 months at a guess, to pluck up the courage to follow the disassembly instructions and remove the 40 odd screws and various top/bottom/side covers in order to get inside the thing, with a view to attacking it with some Servisol switch cleaner. In the interim it just sat there, on a (strong) shelf, doing nothing but gather dust and issue taunts to me for being a lazy bugger. Anyway, about 3 months ago I did finally have a go at it and blow me down with a feather, the Servisol seems to have cured it. I'm not sure exactly which part/s of it was in need of the clean because I did every switch and dial on the amp thoroughly while I had it disassembled. I have been using it daily now ever since and think I can say without crossing my fingers anymore that it is actually working, and sounds great too.

I have had a number of high end amps from Japanese manufacturers that are more well known for their mass market products (Yamaha/Denon/Kenwood) and have always been impressed, and this one certainly does that. There is some info about the range it is from on the Vintage Knob site here: http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/2000SERIES/2000SERIES.html . The onboard DAC is very decent sounding, good enough that I can sacrifice the slightly better sound quality from my Quad 99 CDP-2 and use my blu-ray player as a transport for music/movie playback, connected to the amp via optical cable and using the 'Digital Direct' setting. The moving magnet phono stage is excellent too, though I haven't tried the moving coil option yet, and doesn't seem to have a particularly high capacitance setting, which is good because there is no switch to reduce/alter it and my Audio Technica cartridge can be sensitive to too high a level.

All in all I am really pleased with the amp and would recommend one to others if you can find one for a decent price, maybe an alternative option to the big JVC integrated that has been the subject of a lengthy thread here in the Classic pages. It is a bit of a beast, weighing in at about 28 kilos and measuring about 48cm square x 17cm high, and it runs relatively warm so would need a bit of space to accommodate it. Now that I have finally decided that my one is definitely properly working, I have re-terminated all my cables with right angled plugs in order to keep the amp as far back against the wall as possible, otherwise it would overhang the front of the unit I have it sat on (or force the unit too far out into the room). Here are a couple of pictures of mine, one with an LP on top for scale and one with a CD set beside it to show height:

From what I've found online its 130W into 8 Ohms. In my 3.5m square(ish) room, between 9 and 10 o'clock on the volume knob is pretty darn loud.

It is, though now it is fixed and in use it has left me with the quandary of what to do with my Yamaha CA-2010. I cannot really justify keeping two behemoth integrateds but the CA-2010 is a real beauty IMHO, though the functionality of the AX-2000 better suits my present needs.

Oh, that is a tough one…… My vote goes to the CA-2010, but then again I haven't heard the AX...

It is, though now it is fixed and in use it has left me with the quandary of what to do with my Yamaha CA-2010. I cannot really justify keeping two behemoth integrateds but the CA-2010 is a real beauty IMHO, though the functionality of the AX-2000 better suits my present needs.

Let me provide some justification. Old amps need a bit of tlc from time to time. Therefore, it is essential to have at least one spare behemoth to hand that is up to the job sound wise. :D

I have never owned any Luxman or Accuphase, unfortunately, the closest I've been is with the pair of Kenwood (Kensonic) L-1000C pre and L-1000m power amps I had a few years ago. Those were great amps and like the AX-2000, they were real heavyweights in their construction with a fantastic sound and plenty of power too. I have just noticed - not sure why I didn't before - that the AX-2000 actually has a 'Mid Range' control as well as the usual 'Bass' and 'Treble' ones, hidden behind the panel on the front. I can't think of another amp of its age (early 90s) that still had one, not sure why this one does.

I have never owned any Luxman or Accuphase, unfortunately, the closest I've been is with the pair of Kenwood (Kensonic) L-1000C pre and L-1000m power amps I had a few years ago. Those were great amps and like the AX-2000, they were real heavyweights in their construction with a fantastic sound and plenty of power too.

Accuphase started out as an offshoot of Kensonic.
The Yamaha is fabulous, and really well suited to modern use. Great catch, but keep a spare!

The Yamaha is fabulous, and really well suited to modern use. Great catch, but keep a spare!

It fits in perfectly for the system in our living room, housing a decent DAC, phono stage and amplifier in one (albeit large and heavy) box. Keeping a spare is a nice idea but probably easier where you are than here: the one I have is the only one I have seen for sale in the UK over the last couple of years, so I'm hoping it lasts a little while now that is working properly again.

vVery nice. I've been looking for an integrated to power my NS1000x (with a front panel activated AV in - for an Audiolab 8200AP, so power amp direct button in like the Luxmans) Does this have such a button under it's flap?

On the A-2000 it was marked as 'coupler' on the front panel, which separated the pre and power amp..

Sorry, no, no 'coupler' button on the amp. There is a pair of RCA sockets on the rear panel connected via a removeable coupling pin, marked "Accessory" 'send' and 'receive'. Not sure if that could be utilised for your purposes, though I am guessing probably not?

Well that's exactly the input/output I require, but sadly without it actually switchable it's not fit for my purposes :( A shame as the A-2000 has a switch, do you know how they compare sonically? There are so many Yamaha amps of that period it gets v confusing!!!

No idea how the A-2000 sounds, my only comparison to another top end Yamaha integrated is with my soon to be sold CA-2010. If they have a sound at all - I'm not sure they do, to be honest -, I would say its on the very, very slightly soft side of neutral.

Thanks for getting back to me, If you 2010 is in great order i'd possibly be interested in taking it off your hands - I'd love to hear it with my NS1000x and it does have the coupler button on the back..

advertisement

Back