advertisement

My LP12 is brown bread!

saturn9

pfm Member
Hi,

My ageing LP12 is sadly no longer working, i.e. when I press the on switch, nowt happens, no movement of the turntable, no light on the switch. I have largely exhausted my electrical knowledge by replacing the fuse in the plug to no effect. Can anyone shed any light as to the likely cause or where I might start to look?

Thanks in advance.

My guess is that you have a Valhalla power supply and have suffered the blight of all Valhallas. But don't be fooled by your Linn dealer and feel forced to fork out a few grand for whatever the latest fancy PS is...it probably just needs a recap.

Or you can find a replacement Valhalla in many places including here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=103026&highlight=valhalla

with which I have no connection.

If you have the older basic supply with the big red light replacing it with a Valhalla is a good move anyway.

malcolm

p.s. if you have a Valhalla it could be the fuse on the board itself. Very simple to replace just make sure you put it back in the same fuseholder, there's one for 230V and one for 110v.

A blown valhalla is usually very easily fixed.

The standard fault on earlier boards is that the small bridge rectifier explodes and takes a 50 ohm composition resistor out with it.

Usually fixed by replacement of bridge rectifier and fitting either a small wirewound resistor or thermistor in place of the original resistor.

A replacement of all electrolytics is also usually quite a good idea.

Linn dealers can obtain a kit of parts and often do this fairly cheaply.

Ok, thanks for the replies. And now for the supremely embarrassing bit. How would I know if my deck is Valhalla'd? My pathetic and weaselly excuse is that I bought it over 15 years ago from a mate and for the life of me just can't remember.

My knowledge of electronics isn't particularly vast but I can usually work things out eventually.

Muzzer, thanks for the offer, sounds like a plan if this all heads in that direction.

If its got the large square red switch its a basic PSU, the Valhalla has a black switch with a small LED.

Does it have the big square red on off switch or the grey switch with a small red led in the middle? first one is pre Valhalla
take the bottom off and have a look
If its a pre valhalla then it will just have the Basik supply just 3 caps and a resistor on a small board
If its a Valhalla then it will look like the picture on the right in this site
http://www.areyoulocal.com/Geddon.asp
sorry not great examples but I have limited web access at the moment stupid works site blocks everything with the word Audio in it :rolleyes: FFS

Alan

Ops you beat me to it Jon

if your hi fi dealer talks you into upgradinig - consider the herculese 2 power supply:

http://www.stamfordaudio.co.uk/pages/1102.htm

I replaced my valhalla - the instructions were really straighforward (im no electrician believe me) the guy at stamford audio alos gave me an oil plug to safeguard the oil in the bearing.

the upgrade was superb esp as it cost far less than a linn or naim power supply.

Good luck

Mike

You could try a DIY armageddon PSU (see pfm reference section or Alan's link).
But handling mains voltage is probably not the best idea if you've never soldered anything before.

Lorenz

advertisement

Back