advertisement

My local ISP has lost the plot

DevillEars

Dedicated ignorer of fashion
Yesterday, we had two faults on our Telkom (Telco & ISP) service:

1) Starting at ~2pm, the internet access died with constant and continuous messages from Google Chrome saying "Resolving Host" (i.e. a DNS problem). Voice calls continued.
2) After an hour of diagnostics, it became apparent that the problem was local to the 011-462xxxx exchange and was not linked to any DNS server (probably a DSLAM config error).
3) At 15h30, I tried to use the landline to call 10210 (DSL Call Centre Toll-Free number) to report the fault - lo and behold - no landline carrier = no toll-free voice call to Telkom call centre over landline
4) Used cellphone to call (not toll-free this time) and reported the two separate issues - the pre-existing DNS problem and the subsequent drop-out of the voice line
5) After receiving the usual Telkom Fault Reference, I received an SMS from Telkom:

"Dear Telkom Customer, you recently spoke to XXXXXX in our call centre, please dial *120*151*018 to rate your interaction by answering 2 questions. Thank you. Cost 20c"

Now how's that for bald-faced cheek? Their poor DSLAM service results in me losing access to a not-inexpensive paid-for business service (internet) and their poor line service forces me to use a cellphone to log a fault costing me money and then they have the nerve to request that I make another cellphone call to "rate my interaction" with their call centre AND PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE?

Yes - the amounts are reasonably insignificant, but that's not the point... It's the bloody nerve...

Bemused...

advertisement

Back