advertisement

My Last Double Bass Teacher.

George J

Herefordshire member
My teacher and friend David Daly, giving a little lecture on articulation on the double bass:

This may be of interest for those interested in orchestral performance.

I hope you enjoy this.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:
A friend of mine observed that Mr. Daly does not look old enough to have been my teacher.

A reasonable observation. He is six months younger than me ...

For three years - once a fortnight - we did technical work for an hour, and then played orchestral parts together, for fun, not officially part of the lesson. Dave would sometimes send me away with a symphonic orchestral bass part to mark with fingerings and sometimes bowing's. The fortnight later we would attack my efforts. Sometimes David adopted my thoughts! Quite a compliment really. The second hour of the lesson was really musical sharing and there is nothing like sharing one to one musical ideas ...

I will say that knowing David Daly was the the greatest musical privilege I ever had, and am gratified to say that for the Hereford Festival [Three Choirs] in that time, not only did Dave not stay at the hotel booked for the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, he stayed at mine, and we shared walks on The Malvern Hills, he enjoyed my farmhouse cooking and even the occasional roll-up [I am sure he has given up now unlike me], he allowed me into closed rehearsals, and used my double bass for a performance I attended sitting in the private choir seats of Elgar's Second Symphony conducted by Richard Hickocks. Funny story about that - two actually - but only if requested.

Those were the days.

Also done that week was Mendelsohn's Elijah, where I saw a real [closed] rehearsal melt-down! Again the story would bear repetition if any wants to know.

Naturally this week for the Hereford Three Choirs Festival [all those years ago] was a week's holiday from normal work.

Best wishes from George

Last edited:

advertisement

Back