advertisement

My first record player was...

A Fidelity HF something-or-other something like this

$(KGrHqEOKnIE1MZNh!0uBNlQcsP3JQ~~_12.JPG

I don't remember which model, but it was definitely orange and not exactly hi-fi. Played a lot of records on it though.

I should have kept it - they seem to go for quite a lot on eBay these days!

yes we had one of those

My folks had an awful music cente thing through the early 80's. In fairness you had to say it dealt with my bros rolling stones rolled gold adequately.

My thorens turned up in 82..... the music centre might have been awful but I have to admit it had ignited some sort of interest.

Well a Phikips plastic thing, then as my first 'HiFi' thing, an ERA 444. It was crap, but who was to knew then...

JohanR

My first record player is once again,

I discovered and taught myself music on my dad's td124 mk2' though he was a bit shocked at my punk phase... and soon after got me a rumbling old lenco that also played 5" 16rpms and then a technics - but this was my first.

I inherited it a few years ago and i now use it as my only source. No CD... so have come full circle and stopped looking for newer/betterer/more-expensiver tuntables that aren't...

She sings by Tanais Fox, on Flickr

I use a koetsu urushi mosly, the denon is my retip stand-in.

Trio 1033B with FF15E. It passed the signal into a Technics SU8011 amp which binned most of the music on the way to a pair of Carnivals.

I do not have a record player now. However, when I was a kid my sister had one of these..

Fidelity+HF45.jpg

Later replaced by this superb Sanyo...

6a00d83451cbb069e20134885ee621970c-800wi

Later, my dad bought a Sony HMK 3000 music centre that ended up in our bedroom. I went through various 'mini' style hifi's including an Akai one that I was very proud of. Later when I was about 18 I was given a Hydraulic reference by my rich freinds dad, but being young and stupid I gave it away!
Since then I had a couple of cheap Duals and then a Roksan Radius 5 acrylic with Nima and a Goldring cartridge.

My father had one of these set in to a bespoke cabinet, I remember being fascinated by it's very teutonic semi automatic mechanism, in the mid sixties. By the early seventies this was happily playing T Rex etc;

http://www.dual-reference.com/tables/1009.htm

My own first deck was a Pioneer PL112D and that stayed at home when I moved out. My parents requisitioned it some 10 years ago and it still works faultlessly.

My first deck at the age of 8 was a BSR autochanger with a built in amp driving some unidentified marantz speakers with white drive units!

The BSR deck siezed so my parents brought me a truly horrid ALBA mini system, my little brother pulled it off a chest of drawers and thankfully it was totally destroyed!

Next up I had a genexxa TT and cd player feeding a rotel RA311 with mordaunt short ms05 speakers (not bad for a 13 year old).

At 16 years old I had a proper system, rega p3/bias, arcam A5+ cd, arcam A8r amp, rega ela mk1s, It was my pride and joy that system, I still have it all and when my daughter comes of age it will be her first system :)

My first one was a Fidelity all in one from what I remember, and my pride and joy at the time.

My first real one was a Sansui Sr222 which is still in my loft, well the box is so I assume it is still in the box :D

A blue dansette--- First proper record player was a Pioneer pl514x from an x50 h rack system.
When i was serving in the forces in Germany in the 70's a colleague of mine had one of those Sanyo "Briefcase things" quite good too!!!!

The AR XA with Shure M95ED - this was back in 1974/75.
Really liked just about everything - minimalistic deck which (as most probably know) was the original suspended, belt driven design that paved the way for the later Thorens TD150 et al...not to mention the Linn LP12 which saw the light of day precisely 10 years after the XA was unveiled. One piece solid aluminium subchassis...a great sounding deck, when properly set up.
Still have it.

:)

Ignoring my mother's 1950 Radiogram the size of a sideboard and the GEC Music-centre it was replaced by, my first was a Garrard 401 with a SME arm mounted in very crude wooden box that I bought from a mate. The idler wheel developed a lump which was beyond my whit and means to fix as an impoverished student. Wish I'd kept it now... but bought a Dual CS-508 instead which got nicked soon after and bought a CS505-2 to replace it.

This Telefunken was my first. It really belonged to my parents and I saved it when they were moving house a few years ago:

Telefunken05iso.jpg

And my first hifi table? A Connoisseur BD2/A bought new in 1977 and still in use in my 2nd system:

connoisseur05.jpg

Juhani

A Dansette-style Pye record-player-in-a-box from bequeathed by a university-bound neighbour and my mum's old 7" collection. All collectively knackered.

Favourite records back then? 'The Hippy Hippy Shake', 'I'm not your stepping Stone', 'Hurdy Gurdy Man', an EP of 'Eine Kleine Nachtmusik' and a very sinster reading of Rumpelstiltskin on Scholastic Records.

Garrard SP25 into a Mullard 10+10 valve amp and Sinclair Q14s.

A Connoisseur BD1/SME 3009 with M75 or V15 followed.

Loads of different amp/ receivers, until LP12 and NAIM amps /speakers, which is where I am now.

My first was a Fidelity Music Master, given to me by my Dad in 1975. My sister had spilled lemon squash on the lid and it had gone cloudy, so he bought his first Hi-Fi and passed this onto me:

DSC01346.JPG

I loved it!

This would've been about 1978 - an Eagle belt drive turntable (can't remember the model no.) It was overtaken in 1981 by a Thorens TD104 mkII which remained until last year.

Pete

LP12, bought '84 ish from memory. I now have a home-brew souped up Lenco that started life looking just like the one on post 13, looks a bit different now...

advertisement

Back